A lot of people don’t realize that they can do so much more with their Keurig than brew their favorite coffee. Your single cup brewer is capable of other hot drinks like chai tea, hot cocoa, or apple cider.
It can also brew cold drinks over ice, such as lemonade and iced tea. In fact, there are a wide variety of flavored iced tea k-cups to choose from, because somebody smart latched onto the idea that a Keurig makes great tea brewed over ice.
First Things First
There are so many tea K-cups out there! It’s almost overwhelming, but the most important thing to remember is that you should pick a flavor you like. This sounds like a no brainer, but tea out of a Keurig isn’t the same as tea steeped traditionally over a hot burner.
There are a lot of factors to consider, like the water, the filter, the machine, the K-cup, and everything else that goes into brewing through a single cup brewer. That’s not a bad thing, but you may notice some subtle differences that are amplified when you don’t choose something you know you already like. Don’t be afraid to experiment, though – you might discover a brand-new favorite.
You may also want to choose a K-cup that has the ‘brew over ice’ symbol on it. This isn’t necessary by any means. You can brew any K-cup over ice. Don’t choose a flavor you don’t like simply for the symbol.
However, the symbol indicates that K-cup was formulated especially for brewing over ice and the flavor is enhanced by doing just that. If you’re ready to get started, keep reading!
What You Need
● 16oz cup (metal or ceramic, not glass)
● Keurig brewer
● K-cup of choice
Tips and Warnings
● Make sure your Keurig reservoir is full of water.
● Discard your K-cup after use. They are intended for a single brew.
● You shouldn’t use a glass cup for cold brewing over ice. The dramatic change in temperature caused by hot brewing over ice could crack your glass. It isn’t likely, but better safe than sorry.
● Be sure to use a cup large enough for 6-8 ounces of tea plus plenty of ice. A 16oz cup should be perfect.
How to Brew Iced Tea in a Keurig
- Fill your cup all the way up with ice. A lot of it will melt as the hot tea hits it. Place it under the spout of your Keurig machine.
- Open the K-cup housing at the top and place your favorite tea K-cup in the pocket.
- Select either the 6oz or the 8oz brewing option. This will keep your cup from overflowing.
- Your Keurig brewer will say “Brewing” while it’s in the process of brewing your tea. Wait for it to complete the process before removing your cup.
- Stir your cup thoroughly, add a touch of sweetener if you like, and enjoy.
Can Keurig make iced tea? It sure can! It can brew anything over ice. Just pop your K-cup of choice in the brewer, fill your cup with ice, and enjoy!