The benefits of a plant based diet have been brought to the fore through a number of high profile documentaries and books in recent times. As a result, more and more people are turning vegetarian for more than purely ethical reasons. A large number of them have been long term meat eaters who have, arguably, come to the light. But that doesn’t mean that they have lost their love of meat. There are also many households where the person who does the cooking is a vegetarian while others in the home are meat eaters. That’s why we’ve put together this collection of vegetarian dishes that meat lovers will also love.
These recipes are designed to be filling, easy to make and delicious. If you are a person who is considering switching to vegetarian but still love meat and don’t have a whole lot of experience in the kitchen, these recipes are precisely what you need.
5 Meat Replacements You’ll Love
Here are 5 protein rich, texture filled vegan friendly alternatives that you can add to recipes on plant based diets.
Tofu is made from coagulated soy milk that is pressed into a solid white block. The tasteless product that results is rich in protein and takes on the flavor of the foods it is combined with. A four ounce serving contains 11 grams of protein and just 1.3 grams of carbohydrates.
Tempeh is also made from soy but, rather than soy milk, the entire bean is used to create a cakish product. Half a cup of tempeh contains 17 grams of protein and 6.3 grams of carbs.
With their full, meaty texture and flavor, mushrooms – especially large ones like Portabella – are a terrific meat substitute. As a bonus, mushrooms are high in fiber, which is good news for your digestive system. One cup of Portabella mushrooms will provide you with 5.2 grams of protein, 6 grams of carbs and 2.7 grams of fiber.
All sorts of beans can serve as a hearty, healthy meat replacement. You won’t get all of the essential amino acids in one single bean but mixing them up will cover all of your bases. In a cup of black beans you get 14.5 grams of protein and around 34 grams of carbs.
Jackfruit is a large fruit that grows on trees and originates in south eastern Asia. When eaten ripe, it is sweet and delicious like a pineapple. When cooked, however, it has a chewy, pull apart texture that is very much like pulled pork. One cup of raw jackfruit contains 2.4 grams of protein and 40 grams of carbohydrates.
Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 can tomato soup
- ½ cup cooked Jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup zucchini cut into square chunks
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Cilantro leaves
- Chipotle to taste
- 2 corn tortillas
- Pour the tomato soup, water and Jasmine rice into a pot and cook at a medium heat.
- After 3 minutes, add the zucchini, lime juice and chipotle.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Bake the tortillas in a pan for 2 minutes.
- Cut the tortillas into strips and then add to the soup.
- Allow the soup to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- 2 large Portabella mushrooms cut into thin strips
- ¾ white onion cut into strips
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- Cilantro leaves
- 14 cup oregano
- 2 corn tortillas
- Add the white onions to a pot and cook on a medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the Portabella mushrooms.
- Place the tomatoes, garlic, chipotle powder, and oregano in a blender and blend for 30 seconds on high.
- Add the blended mixture to the pot and cook for a further 8 minutes.
- Top with cilantro.
- Bake the corn tortillas in a pan until crispy.
- Serve the Tinga on the tortillas and top with avocado.
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches
- 1 can young, green jackfruit in brine
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- ½ garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ vegetable broth
- BBQ Sauce
- Wholemeal bread
- Drain and rinse the jack and then cut them into small pieces. Cut off and throw away any cores.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a pan on medium heat.
- Add garlic and onions and saute.
- When the onions begin to brown, add jackfruit.
- Add the vegetable broth
- Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes until the jackfruit has softened.
- Mash with a potato masher until the jackfruit is pulled and stranded.
- Spread the mixture on a large baking sheet.
- Pour BBQ sauce over the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes on a medium heat.
- Remove from the oven and stir in a little more BBQ sauce.
- Serve in a wholemeal sandwich