Whether you’re looking for things to do with the kids on a rainy day, or you’re looking for some kid-friendly activities to keep them busy while you’re exploring Wilkes-Barre, we’ve got you covered. From museum visits to exploring nature and everything in between, there are plenty of fun things to do in Wilkes-Barre with kids.
The Luzerne County Historical Society Museum is a great option for a rainy day activity. The museum is full of interactive exhibits that kids will love. They can explore a replica coal mine, learn about the area’s history, and see artifacts from the area.
If you’re looking for something outdoors, Kirby Park is a great option. The park has a playground, a pond with a fountain, and plenty of walking trails. In the summer, the fountain is a great place for kids to cool off.
The Susquehanna Riverwalk is another great outdoor option. The Riverwalk is a paved walking trail that runs along the Susquehanna River. It’s a great place to take a leisurely stroll or go for a jog.
For a more adventurous outdoor activity, hiking up to Rickets Glen State Park is a great option. The park has a series of waterfalls that are absolutely beautiful. The hike to the falls is a bit challenging, but it’s definitely worth it.
No matter what you’re looking for, there are plenty of kid-friendly things to do in Wilkes-Barre.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
1. Visit the Wyoming Valley Mall – The Wyoming Valley Mall is a large indoor shopping mall located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The mall has over 130 stores, a food court, and a movie theater.
2. Play at Kirby Park – Kirby Park is a large park located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The park has a playground, a spray park, a fishing pond, walking trails, and a picnic area.
3. Go to the Historic Anthracite Coal Mining Museum – The Historic Anthracite Coal Mining Museum is a museum dedicated to the history of coal mining in the Wilkes-Barre area. The museum has exhibits on the mining process, the people who worked in the mines, and the impact of mining on the local community.
4. Take a walk or ride your bike on the Wilkes-Barre Riverfront – The Wilkes-Barre Riverfront is a park that offers views of the Susquehanna River and the city of Wilkes-Barre. The park has a walking trail, a bike path, and a playground.
5. Visit the Luzerne County Historical Society Museum – The Luzerne County Historical Society Museum is a museum dedicated to the history of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. The museum has exhibits on the settlement of the county, the American Revolution, and the local coal mining industry.
6. See a movie at the Marquee Cinema – The Marquee Cinema is a movie theater located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The theater shows a variety of movies, including new releases, independent films, and classics.
7. Play laser tag at Time Warp – Time Warp is an indoor laser tag facility located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The facility also has an arcade with a variety of games.
8. Go bowling at Chacko’s Family Bowling Center – Chacko’s Family Bowling Center is a family-friendly bowling alley located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The bowling alley has lanes for both kids and adults, and also has an arcade.
9. Visit the Public Library of Wilkes-Barre – The Public Library of Wilkes-Barre is a large library located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The library has a children’s section with a variety of books, comics, and magazines.
10. Have some fun at the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts – The F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts is a performing arts center located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The center hosts a variety of events, including concerts, plays, and comedy shows.