Watford City is a small town in North Dakota that is growing rapidly. There are many things to do for young families with children. One option is to go to the rodeo. The Watford City Rodeo is one of the largest in the state and has been going on for over 80 years. Another great option is to go hiking or camping in one of the many state parks or national forests near Watford City. If you are looking for something more relaxed, you can visit one of the many local wineries or breweries. There are also many great restaurants in Watford City that are perfect for families with kids.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Watford City, North Dakota
1. Visit the Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile State Historic Site: This historic site commemorates a Cold War-era missile silo that held a nuclear warhead. Today, the site offers tours, educational programs, and a chance to see a piece of American history up close.
2. Have a blast at the Watford City Municipal Park: This park is a great place for kids to burn off some energy. It features a playground, basketball courts, picnic tables, and a walking trail.
3. Learn about cowboy culture at the North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame: This museum celebrates the state’s cowboy heritage with exhibits on rodeo, ranchers, and more. Kids will learn about the history and culture of the American West.
4. Take a scenic drive on the Theodore Roosevelt Scenic Byway: This byway takes you through some of the state’s most beautiful scenery, including the Badlands National Park. Along the way, you’ll learn about the life and times of America’s 26th president.
5. Visit the Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site: This site is the site of three well-preserved Hidatsa Indian villages. Visitors can learn about the Hidatsa people, their way of life, and their culture.
6. See the Lewis and Clark interpretive center: This center tells the story of the famous expedition through interactive exhibits and displays. Kids will learn about the exploration of the American West and the Native American tribes that the expedition encountered.
7. Get up close and personal with some dinosaurs at the Taylor Engineering Dinosaur Museum: This museum houses a collection of dinosaur bones, as well as fossils from other animals that lived in the area millions of years ago. Kids can learn about these ancient creatures and see them up close.
8. Go fishing at Lake Sakakawea: This man-made lake is a great place to go fishing, swimming, or just enjoy the scenery. Visitors can purchase a fishing license and rent boats at the lake.
9. Take a hike on the Maah Daah Hey Trail: This 150-mile trail winds its way through the Badlands. Hikers can see unique rock formations, wildlife, and stunning views.
10. Attend a rodeo: Watford City is home to the annual Badlands Circuit Finals Rodeo. This event features some of the best rodeo athletes in the country competing for prizes and glory.