The sun shines bright over the white sand beaches of Waianae on the beautiful island of Oahu. Families can come here to relax and enjoy all that the island has to offer. In addition to the beaches, there are many kid-friendly activities to enjoy in Waianae.
The Waianae Coastline Drive is a great way to see the area and learn about its history. There are several lookout points along the way where you can stop and take in the stunning views. The Waianae Coast Botanical Garden is another great place to explore with kids. This garden is full of native Hawaiian plants and flowers, and is a beautiful place to take a stroll.
If you’re looking for something more active to do with your kids, head to the Waianae Mountain Bike Park. This park has several trails of varying difficulty, so there’s something for everyone. Or, if you’re feeling really adventurous, you can hike to the top of Mount Ka’ala, the highest point on Oahu. Either way, you’re sure to have an incredible time exploring Waianae with your family.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Waianae, Hawaii
1. Take a hike up Ka‘ena Point: With its dramatic cliffs and crashing waves, Ka‘ena Point is a breathtaking spot on O‘ahu’s leeward coast. The 4.5-mile round-trip hike to the point is relatively easy and enjoyable for kids. Be sure to bring plenty of water and snacks, and keep an eye out for the native Hawaiian Birds that call this place home.
2. Visit the fishes at Mākua Beach: Mākua Beach is a great spot for snorkeling and swimming. The reef here is home to a variety of colorful fish, and turtles can often be seen basking on the rocks. Be sure to bring your own snorkeling gear, as there are no rental facilities at the beach.
3. Spot sea turtles at Laniākea Beach: Laniākea Beach is famous for its resident population of Hawaiian green sea turtles. These gentle giants can often be seen basking on the sand or swimming in the gentle waves. Be sure not to disturb them, as they are a protected species.
4. Take a surfing lesson: Waianae is a great place to learn how to surf. There are several surf schools in town that offer lessons for all skill levels. Be sure to sign up for a lesson with a reputable school that provides all the necessary safety gear.
5. Go stand-up paddle boarding: Stand-up paddle boarding is a great way to explore the coastline. There are several rental shops in town that offer boards and paddles for a reasonable price. Be sure to wear a life jacket and practice good safety habits while out on the water.
6. Visit the Waianae Coast Botanical Garden: The Waianae Coast Botanical Garden is a beautiful spot to explore the native flora of Hawaii. The garden has several different walking trails, and a variety of native plants and animals can be seen along the way. Be sure to bring plenty of water and sunscreen, as there is little shade in the garden.
7. Play in the sand at Nanakuli Beach Park: Nanakuli Beach Park is a great spot for swimming, sunbathing, and playing in the sand. The beach has a playground, picnic tables, and restrooms. Be sure to bring your own food and drinks, as there are no concessions at the park.
8. Go bodyboarding at Yokohama Bay: Yokohama Bay is a popular spot for bodyboarding. The waves here can be quite large, so it is recommended for experienced riders only. Be sure to bring your own bodyboard and life jacket, as there are no rental facilities at the beach.
9. Take a scenic drive along the Ka‘ena Point Road: The Ka‘ena Point Road is a beautiful drive that offers sweeping views of the coastline. Be sure to take your time and enjoy the scenery. There are several lookout points along the way where you can stop and take in the view.
10.Explore the Waianae Coast: The Waianae Coast is a beautiful stretch of coastline that offers a variety of activities and attractions. Be sure to take your time and explore everything that the area has to offer.