There are plenty of kid friendly things to do in Velenje, Slovenia. For starters, the town is home to the largest coal mine in the country, which offers tours for those interested in learning about the town’s history. The town is also home to several museums, including the Technical Museum of Slovenia and the Museum of Contemporary History. Both museums offer plenty of activities and exhibits for kids to enjoy. There are also a number of parks and playgrounds throughout the town, perfect for a day of play. And, for those looking for a more active adventure, Velenje is home to several hiking and biking trails. No matter what your interests are, there’s sure to be something for everyone in Velenje, Slovenia.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Velenje, Slovenia
1. Visit Velenje castle – Velenje castle is a great place to explore for kids of all ages. With its large grounds and many rooms to explore, there is plenty to keep little ones entertained.
2. Head to the Velenje museum – The Velenje museum is perfect for rainy days or if you want to learn more about the history of the area. Kids will love exploring the exhibitions and seeing all the different artefacts.
3. Climb Velenje hill – For the more adventurous kids, Velenje hill provides a good challenge. Reaching the top rewards you with amazing views of the town and surrounding countryside.
4. Go for a swim at Velenje lake – On hot summer days, there is nothing better than cooling off in Velenje lake. The shallow water is perfect for little ones to safely enjoy a swim.
5. Play in the park – Velenje park is a great spot for a picnic or to let the kids run off some energy. There is also a playground with a range of equipment to keep them entertained.
6. Cycle around Velenje – For kids who love being active, hiring a bike and exploring Velenje by bike is a great option. There are plenty of cycle paths to follow and it’s a great way to see the town.
7. Visit the Velenje chocolate factory – Kids (and adults!) will love a visit to the chocolate factory. Here you can learn about how chocolate is made and even try your hand at making your own.
8. Buy some sweets at a local shop – No trip to Velenje would be complete without picking up some of the local sweets. There are plenty of shops selling a range of traditional Slovenian treats.
9. Get an ice cream – What kid doesn’t love ice cream? There are several ice cream shops in town, so you can treat the kids (and yourself!) to a delicious scoop (or two!).
10. Take a ride on the Velenje tourist train – The Velenje tourist train is a great way to see the town if you don’t fancy walking. It’s also fun for kids as it goes past all the main sights.