Vandalia, Illinois is a great place for kids! There are plenty of kid-friendly activities to keep them busy, like visiting the Vandalia Statehouse, taking a scenic walk or bike ride through Vandalia Lake Park, or exploring the discovery center at the Vandalia Historical Society. For a little more excitement, head to Splash pad Park to cool off in the summer or go sledding at the Vandalia Sports Complex in the winter. No matter what time of year it is, your kids are sure to have a blast in Vandalia!
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Vandalia, Illinois
1. Take a stroll through Vandalia Statehouse State Historic Site: This state park is home to the restored state capitol building that served as the site of Abraham Lincoln’s final speech before becoming president. Visitors can explore the restored building and view exhibits on the state’s history.
2. Visit the Vandalia Railroad Museum: This museum is dedicated to preserving the history of the railroads in Illinois. Visitors can see a variety of locomotives and other railroad artifacts, and learn about the state’s rich railroad heritage.
3. Visit the Vandalia Heritage Museum: This museum is dedicated to preserving the history of the town of Vandalia. Visitors can see a variety of artifacts and learn about the town’s rich history.
4. Take a scenic drive along the Great River Road: This scenic route runs along the Mississippi River and offers breathtaking views of the river and the surrounding countryside.
5. Visit the Lincoln-Herndon Law Office State Historic Site: This state historic site is home to the restored law office of Abraham Lincoln and his partner William Herndon. Visitors can explore the restored office and view exhibits on the Lincoln-Herndon partnership.
6. Go fishing at Horseshoe Lake: This lake is a great place to fish for a variety of fish, including bass, crappie, and catfish.
7. Take a hike on the Vandalia Trail: This trail is a great way to see the scenic countryside of Illinois. The trail passes through a variety of habitats, including forests, meadows, and wetlands.
8. Ride the Vandalia Scenic Railway: This heritage railway offers a variety of scenic rides through the countryside. Visitors can choose from a variety of different routes, depending on their interests.
9. Visit the Vandalia Opera House: This historic opera house is a great place to see a variety of theatrical performances. Visitors can also explore the backstage area and learn about the history of the opera house.
10. Shop at the Vandalia Farmer’s Market: This farmer’s market is a great place to buy fresh produce, baked goods, and other items.