There are many kid friendly activities to do in Taos, New Mexico. A visit to the Taos Pueblo is a must see. The Taos Pueblo is a living Native American community and a National Historic Landmark. The pueblo is open to the public for tours and there are also many events and festivals held throughout the year. Another great activity for kids is a visit to the Rio Grande Gorge. The Rio Grande Gorge is a beautiful and scenic area that offers hiking, biking, picnicking and fishing. For kids who love animals, the Taos Zoo is a great place to visit. The zoo is home to many different animals including lions, tigers, bears, primates and reptiles.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Taos, New Mexico
1. Visit the Taos Pueblo: The Taos Pueblo is a National Historic Landmark and a World Heritage Site. It is also the only living Native American community designated as both of these. The Pueblo is considered to be the oldest continuously inhabited community in the United States. Visitors can take a tour of the Pueblo, learn about the history and culture of the people who live there, and see the beautiful adobe buildings.
2. Take a scenic drive: There are many scenic drives in and around Taos. One of the most popular is the Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway, which takes you through the towns of Taos, Questa, and Red River. Along the way, you’ll see stunning views of the Rio Grande, the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, and beautiful meadows and forests.
3. See the Rio Grande Gorge: The Rio Grande Gorge is a canyon that was carved out by the Rio Grande over millions of years. It is now a National Park, and visitors can hike, camp, fish, and whitewater raft in the gorge.
4. Ski or snowboard at Taos Ski Valley: Taos Ski Valley is a world-renowned ski resort, and it is just a short drive from Taos. Visitors can ski or snowboard down the slopes, take lessons, or just enjoy the scenery.
5.Visit the Rio Grande Zoo: The Rio Grande Zoo is home to over 250 animals, including lions, tigers, bears, and monkeys. Visitors can learn about the animals and their habitats, and see them up close.
6. Take a ride on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad: The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is a historic steam train that winds its way through the mountains of New Mexico. Visitors can take a ride on the train, and see the stunning scenery of the area.
7. Visit the Kit Carson Home and Museum: The Kit Carson Home and Museum is the former home of one of the most famous frontiersmen in American history. Visitors can tour the home, see exhibits on Carson’s life, and learn about the history of the American West.
8. See the Taos Dome: The Taos Dome is a unique rock formation located just outside of Taos. Visitors can hike to the top of the dome for a stunning view of the surrounding area.
9.Visit the New Mexico Museum of Art: The New Mexico Museum of Art is one of the state’s premier art museums. It houses a collection of over 20,000 works of art, and visitors can take a tour, see temporary exhibits, and participate in educational programs.
10. Learn about the history of Taos at the Taos History Museum: The Taos History Museum is dedicated to preserving and interpret the history of Taos. Visitors can see exhibits on the Pueblo Revolt, the Battle of Taos, and the Taos Trappers, and learn about the people and events that have shaped the history of Taos.