There’s no shortage of kid-friendly activities in the quaint upstate town of Stratford, New York. Just a short drive from Albany, Stratford is home to a variety of family-friendly attractions.
The Stratford Community Center is a great place to take the kids for a day of indoor fun. The center features a gymnasium, indoor pool, and game room, as well as a variety of classes and programs for kids of all ages.
Outdoor enthusiasts will love exploring the town’s many parks and trails. The Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail runs right through town and is perfect for a leisurely family stroll or bike ride. Trailhead Park is also a great place to explore, with its playground, picnic pavilion, and fishing pond.
For a truly unique Stratford experience, take the kids to the Towne Crier Cafe, a local eatery that doubles as a live music venue. The cafe hosts a variety of kid-friendly concerts and events throughout the year, making it the perfect place to introduce your little ones to the joys of live music.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Stratford, New York
1. Visit the National Distance Running Hall of Fame- The National Distance Running Hall of Fame is dedicated to celebrating the accomplishments of distance runners and promoting the sport of running. The hall of fame is located in the heart of downtown Stratford and is a great place to learn about the history of the sport and the inspiring stories of the athletes who have made it what it is today.
2.Explore the Arts at the Villagealian Gallery- The Villagealian Gallery is a community art space that features rotating exhibitions of local and regional artists. The gallery also offers a variety of art classes for all ages, making it a great place to explore your creative side.
3.Visit the Old Courthouse Museum- The Old Courthouse Museum is housed in a historic building that once served as the county courthouse. The museum features exhibits on the history of Stratford and the surrounding area, as well as a research library with genealogical resources.
4. go on a hike or bike ride at the Black Creek Preserve- The Black Creek Preserve is a 1,000-acre nature preserve that features miles of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding. The preserve is also home to a variety of wildlife, making it a great place to explore the natural world.
5. take a dip in Centennial Beach- Centennial Beach is a man-made beach on the Hudson River that offers a great place to cool off on hot summer days. The beach is open to the public and features a lifeguard on duty during the swimming season.
6. play a round at the Stratford Golf Course- The Stratford Golf Course is a 18-hole, par 72 course that offers a challenging yet enjoyable round of golf for players of all skill levels. The course is located just outside of downtown Stratford and also features a pro shop, driving range, and Putting green.
7. visit the Hyde Park Brewing Company- The Hyde Park Brewing Company is a local brewery that offers a variety of handcrafted beers, as well as a full menu of food. The brewery is located in downtown Stratford and also has a taproom where you can sample their beers and take home a growler or two.
8. catch a movie at the Capitol Theatre- The Capitol Theatre is a historic movie theatre that dates back to the early 1900s. The theatre shows a variety of classic and independent films and also hosts special events throughout the year.
9. bowhunt or fish at the Dutchess County Sportsmen’s Club- The Dutchess County Sportsmen’s Club is a private club that offers members access to a variety of hunting and fishing areas, as well as a clubhouse with a bar and restaurant. The club is located just outside of Stratford and also offers a range of other outdoor activities such as trap shooting and ATV riding.
10. take a walk or bike ride on the Rail Trail- The Rail Trail is a seven-mile long paved trail that follows the route of an abandoned railroad line. The trail is open to the public and is a great place to get some fresh air and exercise.