Looking for fun things to do with the kids in Strasburg, Illinois? You’re in luck! This charming small town offers a variety of kid-friendly activities to keep the little ones entertained. Start your visit at the Strasburg Railroad, where you can take a ride on a historic steam train or visit the on-site museum. Then, stop by the Miller Park Zoo to see animals from all over the world. For a unique experience, check out the Lincoln Log Cabin State Historic Site, where you can learn about Abraham Lincoln’s boyhood home. Don’t forget to grab a bite to eat at one of the town’s family-friendly restaurants before heading back home.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Strasburg, Illinois
1. Visit the Lincoln Log Cabin State Historic Site: This site is a restored cabin that was once home to Abraham Lincoln’s father and stepmother. Visitors can tour the cabin, see Lincoln memorabilia, and learn about the Lincoln family’s life on the frontier.
2. Ride the Strasburg Railroad: This vintage steam train takes passengers on a round-trip journey through Amish country. Along the way, passengers can learn about the Amish culture and see the beautiful farmland.
3. Visit the Andy Frain State Historic Site: This site is the former home of Andy Frain, a famous clown who performed with the Ringling Brothers Circus. Visitors can tour the house, see clown memorabilia, and learn about Frain’s life and career.
4. Tour the Kaskaskia Historic Site: This site is the former home of the French settlers who founded the city of Kaskaskia. Visitors can tour the house, see French artifacts, and learn about the early history of Illinois.
5. Visit theMiller Park Zoo: This zoo is home to over 300 animals, including lions, tigers, giraffes, and penguins. Visitors can tour the zoo, see the animals, and learn about wildlife conservation.
6. Ride the Steamboat Willow: This antique steamboat offers cruises on the Sangamon River. Visitors can tour the boat, see the river, and learn about the history of steamboats in Illinois.
7. Visit the Illinois State Museum: This museum houses exhibits on the state’s natural history, Native American cultures, and the Civil War. Visitors can tour the museum, see the exhibits, and learn about Illinois history.
8. Take a scenic drive: Strasburg is located in the heart of Illinois’ beautiful countryside. Visitors can take a scenic drive through the rolling hills and farmland.
9. Visit a local winery: Illinois is home to many local wineries. Visitors can tour the wineries, see the vineyards, and taste the wines.
10. Go hiking: Strasburg is located near several state parks, including Giant City State Park and Shawnee National Forest. Visitors can go hiking, see the scenery, and learn about the local flora and fauna.