Sremska Mitrovica is a charming city in Serbia that offers plenty of kid-friendly activities. The city’s central square, Trg Srpskih Dobrovoljaca, is a great place to start exploring. The square is home to several monuments, including a statue of Serbian hero Milos Obilic, and is a gathering place for locals and visitors alike. Just steps from the square is the imposing Sremska Mitrovica City Hall, which is worth a visit for its ornate architecture.
For a dose of nature, head to the nearby Fruska Gora National Park. The park has hiking and biking trails, as well as a monastery and several castles. Kids will especially enjoy visiting the Zmajevac Zoo, which is located within the park. Another option is to take a boat ride on the nearby Sava River.
In terms of dining, Sremska Mitrovica has plenty of kid-friendly options. Pizzeria Capo di tutti Capi is a popular spot for pizza, while Konoba Biblioteka serves traditional Serbian fare. For a sweet treat, be sure to try a slice of the city’s famous Mitrovačka torta at one of the local bakeries.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Sremska Mitrovica, Serbia
1. Visit the Sremska Mitrovica City Museum – The Sremska Mitrovica City Museum is housed in a beautiful Austro-Hungarian building from 1904 and tells the story of the city from its earliest days up until the present. The museum has a wide variety of exhibits, including a section on the Roman period, when the city was known as Sirmium.
2. Take a walk through the old city center – The old city center of Sremska Mitrovica is a lovely place to take a stroll, with its Baroque-style buildings, cobbled streets and picturesque parks.
3. Visit the Sremski Karlovci Patriarchal residences – The Sremski Karlovci Patriarchal residences are some of the most beautiful buildings in Sremska Mitrovica. The residences were built in the 18th century for the Serbian Orthodox Patriarchate of Karlovci and are now considered a national monument.
4. View the Rusanda Panorama – The Rusanda Panorama is a painting by Serbian artist Stevan Todorović which depicts the Battle of Kosovo in 1389. The panorama is located in the Sremski Karlovci Patriarchal residence and is open to the public.
5. Visit the Cathedral of St. Demetrius – The Cathedral of St. Demetrius is the largest Orthodox church in Sremska Mitrovica and was built in the 18th century. The cathedral is beautiful both inside and out, with an ornate interior and an impressive iconostasis.
6. Relax in Mitrovski Park – Mitrovski Park is a large park located in the center of Sremska Mitrovica. The park is a great place to relax or take a stroll, and features a number of monuments, including a statue of Serbian writer Branislav Nušić.
7. Take a walk along the Sava river – The Sava river runs through Sremska Mitrovica and is a beautiful place to take a walk. The riverbank is lined with trees and there are several bridges which offer great views of the river.
8. Visit the Sremska Mitrovica Library – The Sremska Mitrovica Library is housed in a beautiful building from the Austro-Hungarian period. The library has a wide range of books, both in Serbian and in foreign languages, and also offers a number of cultural events throughout the year.
9. Meet the animals at the Zoo – The Sremska Mitrovica Zoo is located just outside the city center and is home to a wide variety of animals, including tigers, lions, bears, and wolves. The zoo also has a playground and a restaurant, making it a great place to spend a day with the family.
10. Visit the Aleksandrovo tomb – The Aleksandrovo tomb is a burial site dating back to the 4th century BC. The tomb is located just outside Sremska Mitrovica and is one of the most important archaeological sites in Serbia.