Skowhegan, Maine, is a great place for kids of all ages. There are plenty of kid-friendly activities to keep them busy, including a visit to the Skowhegan Fairgrounds, where they can check out the animals and rides, and the Maine State Museum, where they can learn about the history of the state. For something more active, they can explore one of the many hiking trails or go canoeing or kayaking on the Kennebec River. And no trip to Skowhegan would be complete without a stop at one of the many ice cream shops!
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Skowhegan, Maine
1. Visit the Maine state fairgrounds – The Maine state fairgrounds are home to the annual Maine State Fair, which features rides, games, food, and live entertainment. There is also a museum on the grounds that chronicles the history of the fair.
2. Go camping at Lake George – Camping at Lake George is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and spend time with family and friends. There are plenty of campsites to choose from, and the lake offers opportunities for fishing, swimming, and canoeing.
3. Visit the Skowhegan History House Museum – The Skowhegan History House Museum is a great place to learn about the history of Skowhegan and the surrounding area. The museum features exhibits on the history of the area, as well as a research library.
4. Go hiking in the Moosehead Lake region – The Moosehead Lake region is home to some of the best hiking in the state of Maine. There are plenty of trails to choose from, and the scenery is simply beautiful.
5. Take a scenic drive through the White Mountains – The White Mountains are a great place to go for a scenic drive. The views from the top of the mountains are simply breathtaking, and there are plenty of places to stop along the way to take pictures.
6. Visit the Fort Knox State Historic Site – The Fort Knox State Historic Site is the site of an old fort that was built in the early 1800s. The fort is now a museum that chronicles the history of the area.
7. Go fishing in the Kennebec River – The Kennebec River is a great place to go fishing. There are plenty of spots to fish from, and the river is home to a variety of different fish.
8. Visit the Rangeley Lakes region – The Rangeley Lakes region is a beautiful area that is perfect for a scenic drive. There are plenty of lakes to choose from, and the views are simply stunning.
9. Go skiing or snowboarding at Sugarloaf Mountain – Sugarloaf Mountain is a popular ski resort that features a variety of different trails. The resort also offers snowboarding and tubing.
10. Visit the Portland Head Light – The Portland Head Light is a beautiful lighthouse that is located in Portland, Maine. The lighthouse is open to the public, and there is a museum on the grounds.