If you’re looking for something to do with the kids in Shaftsbury, Vermont, you’re in luck. This charming town has plenty of kid-friendly activities to keep the little ones entertained. Take a stroll down Main Street and pop into the many shops and galleries. Stop for an ice cream at one of the local cafes. Or, head to the community park for a picnic lunch and a game of fetch with the family dog. In the summer, the town comes alive with community events like the weekly farmer’s market, concerts in the park, and movies in the square. There’s always something going on in Shaftsbury, and the kids will never be bored.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Shaftsbury, Vermont
1. Shaftsbury State Park: This beautiful state park is perfect for a day of hiking and picnicking. There are plenty of trails to explore, and the views from the top of the mountain are breathtaking.
2. Bennington Battlefield State Historic Site: This site commemorates the Battle of Bennington, which was a key victory for the American forces during the Revolutionary War. Visitors can explore the battlefield, visit the museum, and take a ranger-led tour.
3. Walloomsac River: This lovely river is perfect for a leisurely canoe or kayak trip. There are many scenic spots along the river where you can stop and enjoy the view.
4. Hildene: This historic mansion was once the summer home of President Abraham Lincoln’s son, Robert Todd Lincoln. Visitors can tour the mansion, grounds, and gardens. There is also a museum on site that contains Lincoln memorabilia.
5. Vermont Pumpkin Chuckin’ Festival: This annual festival features pumpkin chunkin’ (of course!), hayrides, a pumpkin carving contest, and more. It’s a great event for the whole family to enjoy.
6. Fishermen’s Memorial State Park: This state park is a great spot for fishing, swimming, and picnicking. There is also a playground and a beach area.
7. Shaftsbury country Store: This store is a local landmark and has been in business for over 200 years. It’s the perfect place to pick up some Vermont souvenirs or grab a bite to eat.
8. Emerald Lake State Park: This state park features a beautiful lake, perfect for swimming, canoeing, or just relaxing. There are also hiking trails and a picnic area.
9. Camel’s Hump State Park: This state park is home to Camel’s Hump, the state’s third highest mountain. There are hiking trails of varying difficulty, and the views from the top are stunning.
10. Vermont Standard Bread Company: This bread company is a local favorite, and for good reason. The bread is delicious, and the atmosphere is cozy and welcoming.