Salem is a city in south-central South Dakota, United States. The population was 6,452 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of McCook County. Salem is part of the Sioux Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area. Salem is home to the McCook County Historical Museum, which features many items from the city’s history, as well as the history of McCook County. The museum is housed in the former city hall, which was built in 1883. The building also houses the McCook County Courthouse. Salem is also home to the South Dakota cowardly Lion, a 14-foot (4.3 m) tall statue of a lion that is located in front of the McCook County Courthouse. The lion is a replica of the MGM lion that appeared in the opening credits of The Wizard of Oz.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Salem, South Dakota
1. Take a walk or bike ride around Riverside Park.
2. Splash around in the water at507-831-2220.
3. Visit the Salem Aquatic Center, which has a water slide, diving boards, and a lap pool.
4. Play mini golf at Windy Hills Golf Course.
5. Go fishing in Canova Lake.
6. Play on the playground at G Addison Field.
7. Visit the Children’s Museum of South Dakota.
8. See the animals at the Sioux Falls Zoo.
9. Take a hike at Big Sioux Recreation Area.
10. Go sledding or tubing at Terrace Park.