There is no dearth of kid-friendly activities in and around Saint Thomas Mount, India. From outdoor activities like hiking and bird watching to indoor activities like visiting museums and temples, there is something for everyone. Some of the top kid-friendly activities in and around Saint Thomas Mount include:
-Explore the heritage site of Saint Thomas Mount: This ancient site has a rich history and is a great place to learn more about the local culture and heritage. Take a guided tour of the mount or simply explore it on your own.
-Visit the Chennai Railway Museum: This museum is a must-visit for all young railway enthusiasts. It houses a collection of locomotives, coaches, and other artifacts that tell the story of the evolution of the Indian railways.
-Take a walk through the Lalbagh Botanical Garden: This sprawling garden is home to a wide variety of plant and animal species. Take a leisurely stroll through the garden or go on a nature trail to spot some of the rarest species.
-Visit the Vandalur Zoo: This is one of the largest zoos in India and is home to a wide variety of animals, birds, and reptiles. The zoo also has a safari park where you can see lions, tigers, and elephants up close.
-Pay a visit to the Birla Planetarium: This planetarium offers interesting shows and exhibits on astronomy and space science. This is a great place to learn more about the universe and how it works.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Saint Thomas Mount, India
1. Visit the Saint Thomas Mount National Shrine: The Saint Thomas Mount National Shrine is a popular destination for both Catholics and tourists alike. Visitors can explore the shrine, which is dedicated to Saint Thomas the Apostle, and learn about his life and work. The shrine is also home to a small museum with exhibits on the life of Saint Thomas and the history of the Catholic Church in India.
2. Attend a mass at the Saint Thomas Mount National Shrine: The shrine is also home to a large Catholic church, which offers Masses throughout the day. Visitors can attend a Mass and receive communion, or simply take in the impressive architecture and artwork of the church.
3. Explore the nearby Santhome Cathedral: The Santhome Cathedral is another popular destination for Catholic tourists. The cathedral is home to the tomb of Saint Thomas the Apostle, as well as a number of other important historical artifacts. Visitors can explore the cathedral, learn about its history, and pray at the tomb of Saint Thomas.
4. Visit the nearby Fort St. George: Fort St. George is a popular tourist destination for its historical significance. The fort was the site of the first British settlement in India, and today it houses a museum with exhibits on the history of the fort and the British presence in India. Visitors can also explore the fort grounds, which include a number of gardens and a church.
5. Take a boat tour of the Chennai harbor: The Chennai harbor is one of the largest in India, and it is home to a number of Important historical landmarks. Visitors can take a boat tour of the harbor, which will take them past the Saint Thomas Mount National Shrine, the Fort St. George, and the Chennai Lighthouse.
6. Visit the Chennai Zoo: The Chennai Zoo is one of the largest zoos in India, and it is home to a wide variety of animals. Visitors can see tigers, lions, elephants, Giraffes, and more. The zoo also has a number of educational exhibits, making it a great place to take kids.
7. Go on a safari at the Guindy National Park: The Guindy National Park is a large nature reserve that is home to a number of different animals. Visitors can take a safari through the park, which will allow them to see tigers, leopards, elephants, and more.
8. Visit the Birla Planetarium: The Birla Planetarium is one of the largest planetariums in Asia, and it is a popular destination for kids and adults alike. The planetarium offers a variety of shows and educational exhibits, making it a great place to learn about the night sky.
9. Take a walk through the Marina Beach: The Marina Beach is one of the most popular beaches in Chennai, and it is a great place to take a stroll. Visitors can enjoy the beautiful scenery, relax on the sand, and take a dip in the ocean.
10. Visit the Kapaleeshwarar Temple: The Kapaleeshwarar Temple is a popular Hindu temple that is dedicated to the god Shiva. Visitors can explore the temple, learn about Hinduism, and see a number of beautiful sculptures and paintings.