Saint Francisville, Louisiana is a small town located just north of Baton Rouge. The town is rich in history and culture, and there are plenty of kid-friendly things to do. The Grand Coteau Biodiversity Education Center is a great place to learn about the area’s ecology and take part in educational programs. The Saint Francisville Experimental Station is a working farm that offers tours and educational programs for kids. For a fun day out, kids can explore the Baton Rouge Zoo or the Saint Francisville Playhouse. There are also several parks in the town, perfect for a picnic or a game of tag.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Saint Francisville, Louisiana
1. Visit the Myrtles Plantation – The Myrtles Plantation is a historic house and former plantation located in Saint Francisville, Louisiana. The plantation was built in 1796 by General David Bradford and is the oldest standing plantation house in the state of Louisiana. The plantation was originally a sugarcane plantation but was later converted to a cotton plantation. The Myrtles Plantation is also known for its alleged haunting by the ghosts of former slaves.
2. Take a Plantation Tour – There are several plantation tours available in Saint Francisville which will give you a glimpse into the lives of the plantation owners and slaves. Many of the plantations in the area offer tours of the grounds and the buildings.
3. Visit the Rosedown Plantation – The Rosedown Plantation is a historic plantation located in Saint Francisville, Louisiana. The plantation was built in 1835 by cotton planter Daniel Webster Jones and is one of the best-preserved antebellum plantations in the country. The plantation features a large mansion, outbuildings, gardens, and a slave quarters.
4. Take a Swamp Tour – Saint Francisville is located in the heart of Louisiana’s Cajun country and is surrounded by swamps and bayous. There are several tour companies that offer Swamp Tours which will take you through the bayous and swamps to see the wildlife up close.
5. Visit the St. Francisville Experimental Station – The St. Francisville Experimental Station is a research facility operated by the Louisiana State University Agricultural Center. The station is located on a 1,000-acre site and is used for research on various crops, livestock, and forestry.
6. Take a Hiking Trail – There are several hiking trails located in and around Saint Francisville. The trails range in difficulty from easy to moderate and offer a variety of landscapes to explore.
7. Visit the National Cemetery – The National Cemetery is located in Saint Francisville and is the final resting place for over 6,000 veterans. The cemetery is also the site of the Saint Francisville Confederate Monument which honors the soldiers who fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War.
8. Take a Biking Trail – There are several biking trails located in and around Saint Francisville. The trails range in difficulty from easy to moderate and offer a variety of landscapes to explore.
9. Visit the Louisiana State University Rural Life Museum – The Louisiana State University Rural Life Museum is located on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The museum is dedicated to the history and culture of rural Louisiana and features exhibits on agriculture, architecture, and folk art.
10. Visit the Saint Francisville Zoo – The Saint Francisville Zoo is located in Saint Francisville, Louisiana and is home to over 500 animals from all over the world. The zoo features a variety of exhibits and educational programs.