Saarlouis is a city in the Saarland, Germany. With a population of 38,000, it is the largest city in the Saarland. The city is located on the River Saar, near the border with France.
Saarlouis was founded in 1680 by Louis XIV of France. It was originally part of the Duchy of Lorraine, but was ceded to France in 1766. In 1871, it became part of Germany.
Saarlouis is a industrial city, with several steel and chemical plants. It is also home to a large Ford factory.
There are several kid-friendly things to do in Saarlouis. The Saarland Therme is a large waterpark, with slides, a wave pool, and a sauna. The Merzig Zoo is home to over 500 animals, including lions, tigers, and elephants. The Saarbrucken Zoo is also nearby.
The Saarlouis Carnival is held every June, and is one of the largest carnivals in Germany. There are also several museums in the city, including the Saarland Museum and the Saarland History Museum.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Saarlouis, Germany
1. Visit Castle Saarlouis: This imposing castle is situated on a hill overlooking the town of Saarlouis. It was built in the 17th century as a residence for the dukes of Lorraine and has since been turned into a museum. Visitors can explore the castle grounds, the gorgeous gardens and the museum, which houses a collection of art and furniture from the ducal era.
2. Take a Boat Ride on the Saar River: The Saar River runs through the town of Saarlouis and makes for a lovely boat ride. Visitors can take a leisurely cruise down the river, taking in the sights of the town as they go.
3. Check Out the Saarland Therme: The Saarland Therme is a large indoor water park with a variety of pools and slides. Visitors can splash around to their heart’s content, or relax in the sauna or steam room. There is also a spa on site, offering a variety of treatments.
4.Visit the Saarbrücken Zoo: The Saarbrücken Zoo is located just outside of town and is home to a variety of animals, from lions and tigers to penguins and flamingos. Visitors can stroll through the grounds, taking in the sights and sounds of the animals, or take a ride on the zoo train.
5. Explore the Saarlouis Hills: The Saarlouis Hills offer stunning views of the town and the river below. Visitors can hike or bike through the hills, taking in the scenery as they go.
6. Take a Stroll Through the Old Town: The old town of Saarlouis is a lovely place to spend an afternoon. Visitors can stroll through the cobbled streets, taking in the historic buildings and churches.
7. Visit the Tageblatt Tower: The Tageblatt Tower is a historic landmark in the town of Saarlouis. The tower was once the home of the local newspaper, and today visitors can take a tour of the building and enjoy the views from the top.
8. See the Saarlouis Opera House: The Saarlouis Opera House is a beautiful baroque building that was built in the 18th century. Visitors can take a tour of the opera house, or see a performance if one is scheduled during their visit.
9. Browse the shops at Saarbrücken Airport: Saarbrücken Airport is located just outside of town and offers a variety of shops and restaurants. Visitors can browse the duty-free shops, or grab a bite to eat before their flight.
10. Enjoy the Views from the Saar Bridge: The Saar Bridge offers stunning views of the town and the river below. Visitors can walk or cycle across the bridge, taking in the sights as they go.