There are plenty of kid-friendly things to do in Rusk, Texas! For starters, the town is home to the East Texas State Fair, which is a great place for kids to enjoy rides, games, and delicious fair food. The Rusk Zoo is another great option for families, as it is home to over 200 animals, including lions, tigers, and bears. The Rusk Public Library is also a great place to take kids, as it offers a wide variety of books, movies, and video games for them to enjoy. Lastly, parents can bring their kids to one of the many parks in Rusk to let them run around and play.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Rusk, Texas
1. Visit the Texas State Railroad. The Texas State Railroad is a historic railroad operating between Rusk and Palestine, Texas. The railroad offers a variety of rides and events throughout the year, including the popular Pumpkin Patch Express in the fall.
2. Take a tour of the Rusk Historic Museum. The Rusk Historic Museum is dedicated to preserving the history of Rusk and the surrounding area. The museum offers a variety of exhibits and events throughout the year, including a monthly speaker series.
3. Visit the Caddo Mounds State Historic Site. The Caddo Mounds State Historic Site is a Native American archaeological site containing the remains of a village inhabited by the Caddo people from 600-1400 CE. The site includes a museum with exhibits on the Caddo people and the archaeology of the site.
4. Go hiking at Purtis Creek State Park. Purtis Creek State Park is a 7,000-acre state park located just outside of Rusk. The park features a variety of hiking trails, a lake for fishing and swimming, and a campground.
5. Have a picnic at Riverside Park. Riverside Park is a beautiful city park located on the banks of the Neches River. The park features a playground, picnic pavilions, and a scenic walking trail.
6. Take a stroll through the Rusk Historic District. The Rusk Historic District is a National Register of Historic Places district containing a variety of historic buildings, including the old county courthouse and the First Baptist Church.
7. Visit the Cherokee County Courthouse. The Cherokee County Courthouse is a historic courthouse located in the center of Rusk. The courthouse is home to a museum with exhibits on the history of Cherokee County.
8. Play a round of golf at the Rusk Country Club. The Rusk Country Club is a private golf club located just outside of Rusk. The club features an 18-hole golf course, a swimming pool, and a clubhouse.
9. Go birdwatching at the Neches River National Wildlife Refuge. The Neches River National Wildlife Refuge is a refuge for migrating birds located along the Neches River. The refuge features a variety of hiking trails and a boardwalk with views of the river.
10. Shop for local art at the Rusk Artists’ Co-op. The Rusk Artists’ Co-op is a cooperative of local artists that sell their artwork out of a shop located in downtown Rusk. The shop features a variety of paintings, sculptures, and photography.