Puttalam, Sri Lanka is a great place for kids! There are plenty of kid friendly activities to keep them entertained. The beach is a great place to start, where they can build sandcastles, paddle in the shallows, and explore the rock pools. Further afield, there are Reptile Parks and Butterfly Gardens, and even an Elephant Orphanage where they can feed and bath the elephants. Of course, no trip to Sri Lanka would be complete without visiting a tea plantation, and there are plenty of these in the area too. With so much to see and do, Puttalam is sure to be a hit with the whole family!
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Puttalam, Sri Lanka
1. Take a boat ride through the lagoon – Puttalam is home to a large lagoon which makes for a great boat ride. You can see all sorts of wildlife while on the lagoon, such as birds, fish, and even crocodiles!
2. Visit the Puttalam salt pans – Sri Lanka is famous for its production of salt and the Puttalam salt pans are a great place to see how it’s done. You can even buy some salt to take home with you.
3. Stroll along the beach – Puttalam’s beaches are beautiful and perfect for a relaxing stroll. You might even see some turtles nesting if you’re lucky.
4. Go on a safari – Puttalam is home to a large nature reserve which is perfect for a safari. You’ll be able to see elephants, leopards, and many other animals in their natural habitat.
5. Visit the stilt fishermen – Stilt fishing is a traditional Sri Lankan fishing method and you can see it in action in Puttalam. The fishermen perch on stilts in the sea and wait for the fish to bite.
6. Learn about traditional Sri Lankan pottery – Puttalam is home to a traditional pottery village where you can watch the potters at work and even try your hand at it yourself.
7. Go on a bird watching tour – Puttalam is a great place for bird watching, with over 150 different species of birds in the area. You can go on a guided tour or explore on your own.
8. Visit the Puttalam markets – The markets in Puttalam are a great place to get a taste of local life. You can find everything from fresh produce to traditional handicrafts.
9. Try some Sri Lankan food – Sri Lankan food is delicious and there are plenty of opportunities to try it in Puttalam. There are also many restaurants that serve international cuisine if you’re not feeling adventurous.
10. Go on a boat ride to see the sunset – A boat ride to see the sunset is a must-do while in Puttalam. It’s a beautiful way to end the day and you might even see some dolphins swim by.