Portalegre is a beautiful city located in the north of Portugal. It is home to a variety of historical landmarks and is a great place for families to visit. There are a number of kid friendly activities to keep the little ones entertained including:
• A visit to the Castle of Portalegre – this imposing castle is situated on a hill in the center of the city and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside. The castle has a number of turrets and is surrounded by a moat, making it a great place for kids to explore.
• A walk through the Old Town – Portalegre’s Old Town is a beautiful area to explore with cobbled streets and a number of historic buildings. Be sure to stop by the Town Hall and the Church of St. Francis Xavier.
• A ride on the Portalegre Electric Train – this is a great way to see the city and its surroundings. The train runs for approximately 10 kilometers and takes around 45 minutes to complete the journey.
• A visit to the Portalegre Zoo – located on the outskirts of the city, the zoo is home to a variety of animals including lions, tigers, and elephants. The zoo also has a number of interactive exhibits so kids can learn about the animals.
• A trip to the Tony Trombeta Water Park – this water park is a great place to cool off in the summer months and has a number of slides and pools for kids to enjoy.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Portalegre, Portugal
1. Visit the Freedom Square – Located in the heart of the city, the Freedom Square is a great place to take the kids for a walk or to play. There is also a playground and a fountain in the square.
2. Take a walk around the Old Town – Portalegre’s Old Town is a great place to explore with the kids.There are narrow streets, pretty buildings and plenty of cafes and shops to explore.
3. Visit Portalegre Castle – Portalegre Castle is a great place to explore with the kids. They can run around the grounds, explore the castle towers and even go on a treasure hunt.
4. Have a picnic in the park – There are several parks in Portalegre, perfect for a picnic lunch with the kids. Pack a picnic, some games and enjoy an afternoon in the park.
5. Go swimming at the municipal pool – The municipal pool in Portalegre is a great place to take the kids for a swim. There is also a shallow area for smaller children.
6. Visit the Puppet Museum – The Puppet Museum is a great place to take the kids for a visit. They can learn about the history of puppets and see some of the puppets from Portugal’s past.
7. Take a ride on the tram – Portalegre has a historic tram that runs through the city. It’s a great way to see the sights of the city and the kids will love the ride.
8. Visit the markets – Portalegre has several markets which are great places to explore with the kids. They can find souvenirs, try new foods and experience the vibrant atmosphere of the city.
9. Go to the movies – The local cinema is a great place to take the kids for a movie. They can choose from the latest releases or watch an old classic.
10. Have some ice cream – No visit to Portalegre is complete without trying the local ice cream. The kids will love the range of flavours on offer and you can find some great places to eat it around the city.