Orrington is a great place for kids! There are plenty of things to do to keep them entertained. The Maine Discovery Museum is a great place to take the kids. They can learn about the state of Maine and its history, while also having fun. There is also an interactive play area where they can burn off some energy. If the weather is nice, take them to the Bangor City Forest for a hike or to explore the nature trails. For a more active activity, take them to the Down East Sunrise Trail for a bike ride. If they’re looking to just relax, take them to the Orrington Public Library where they can read or check out some of the many kid-friendly books.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Orrington, Maine
1. Visit the Orrington Historical Society Museum – The Orrington Historical Society Museum is housed in an 18th-century farmhouse and is full of artifacts and exhibits that tell the story of the town’s history.
2. Go for a hike in the A.T. Staples State Park – A.T. Staples State Park is a small park located in the center of town that features a short hiking trail and a scenic pond.
3. Play at the Grist Mill Playground – The Grist Mill Playground is a large playground located next to the Orrington Dam. It has a variety of play structures, a sand pit, and a picnic area.
4. Visit the Orrington Lighthouse – The Orrington Lighthouse is a historic lighthouse located on the banks of the Penobscot River. It is open to the public for tours during the summer months.
5. Go fishing at the Orrington Dam – The Orrington Dam is a good spot for fishing, and there is a public fishing pier located next to the Grist Mill Playground.
6. Have a picnic at the Orrington Falls Park – Orrington Falls Park is a small park located next to the Orrington Lighthouse. It features a picnic area, a small waterfall, and scenic views of the river.
7. Go for a swim at the Orrington Beach – Orrington Beach is a small, sandy beach located on the banks of the Penobscot River. It is a popular spot for swimming and sunbathing.
8. Take a scenic drive down the Orrington Scenic Byway – The Orrington Scenic Byway is a scenic drive that takes you through the town of Orrington and past some of its most beautiful sites.
9. Go birdwatching at the Orrington Bog – The Orrington Bog is a large wetland area located just outside of town. It is home to a variety of bird species and is a great place for birdwatching.
10. Go for a walk or bike ride on the Orrington Rail Trail – The Orrington Rail Trail is a paved trail that runs for 3 miles through town. It is popular with walkers, runners, and cyclists.