Nuwara Eliya is packed with kid-friendly activities to tire even the most energetic of youngsters! From exploring the many well-manicured gardens, to learning about the area’s rich colonial history, to trekking through hike-worthy mountain trails, there’s something for every tot, tween and teenager in Nuwara Eliya.
One of the most popular kid-friendly activities in Nuwara Eliya is a visit to the Hakgala Botanical Gardens. Sprawling over 50 acres, the gardens are home to an impressive collection of flora and fauna, including an incredible butterfly garden. Kids will love getting up close and personal with these amazing creatures!
For a dose of history, head to the charming Victorian-style Hill Club. Founded in 1868, this colonial-era club is steeped in history and offers beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. Kids will love exploring the beautifully manicured grounds and golf course.
No visit to Nuwara Eliya would be complete without a hike through one of the area’s many stunning mountain trails. Two of the most popular kid-friendly trails are the six-kilometre walk to World’s End and the seven-kilometre hike to Horton Plains National Park. Both trails offer incredible views and are packed with wildlife.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka
1. Go on a safari: Kids will love getting up close and personal with some of Sri Lanka’s most iconic animals on a safari at one of the many national parks in the country.
2. Visit an elephant orphanage: There are several elephant orphanages in Sri Lanka where kids can learn about and interact with these amazing animals.
3. Take a train ride: A ride on Sri Lanka’s famous colonial-era train is a must-do for kids and adults alike.
4. Go on a boat ride: Kids will love exploring Sri Lanka’s waterways on a boat ride, whether it’s on a traditional wooden boat or a modern speedboat.
5. Visit a tea plantation: A visit to a tea plantation is a great way for kids to learn about one of Sri Lanka’s most important exports.
6. explore a waterfalls: Sri Lanka is home to many beautiful waterfalls, which make for a great day out for kids of all ages.
7. Visit a temple: Sri Lanka is home to many ancient temples, some of which are very kid-friendly with lots of things to see and do.
8. Climb Adam’s Peak: This is a challenging hike but kids who are up for it will love the views from the top of Adam’s Peak.
9. Go on a safari: Kids will love getting up close and personal with some of Sri Lanka’s most iconic animals on a safari at one of the many national parks in the country.
10. Visit an elephant orphanage: There are several elephant orphanages in Sri Lanka where kids can learn about and interact with these amazing animals.