There’s plenty for families to do in New Harmony, Indiana! The town is home to a number of parks and playgrounds, as well as a children’s museum. Families can also take a scenic horse-drawn carriage ride or go for a paddle in a canoe or kayak on the Wabash River. Other popular activities include visiting the working bees at the historic George Rapp’s Harmonie Mill and taking a tour of the historic New Harmony Cemetery.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In New Harmony, Indiana
1. Visit the New Harmony State Historic Site: This state historic site commemorates the historical significance of New Harmony and its role in the development of the Indiana Territory. The site includes the New Harmony Visitor Center, the Labyrinth and the Atheneum.
2. Take a tour of the New Harmony Gallery of Contemporary Art: This gallery features contemporary art from around the world.
3. Visit the Roofless Church: This church was designed by renowned architect, Richard Meier.
4. Go for a hike in the John Muir Nature Preserve: This nature preserve is home to hiking trails, a stocked fishing pond and a variety of wildlife.
5. Visit the New Harmony Cemetery: This cemetery is the final resting place for many of the original settlers of New Harmony.
6. Take a horse-drawn carriage ride: Carriage rides are available seasonally and are a great way to see the town.
7. Visit the Eros Statue: This statue is a replica of the Greek statue of the same name and is one of the most popular photo spots in town.
8. Go fishing in the Wabash River: The Wabash River is stocked with a variety of fish species and is a popular spot for both fishing and swimming.
9. Visit the Working Men’s Institute: This institute is a museum and library that houses a collection of artifacts and documents relating to the history of New Harmony.
10. Shop at the New Harmony farmers market: The farmers market is open seasonally and features a variety of local produce and products.