Neustrelitz is a town in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. It is the capital of the district of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. The town is situated on the southern edge of the Mecklenburg Lake District on the River Stern. It is about 35 kilometers (22 mi) northwest of Neubrandenburg and 60 kilometers (37 mi) northeast of Rostock.
Neustrelitz is a historic town with many remarkable buildings. The town has a castle, several palaces, and two churches which are worth visiting. The castle was built in the 14th century and is one of the best-preserved in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The stately homes and palaces in the town are from the 18th and 19th centuries. The town is also known for its beautiful parks and gardens.
There are many things to do in Neustrelitz for families with children. The Sternberg Astronomical Observatory offers public events and telescopes for stargazing. The Observatory also has a Planetarium. The Wildpark is a nature preserve with diverse wildlife including red deer, bison, and wild boars. Visitors can feed the animals and there are also guided tours. For kids who love trains, the Strelitz-Heritage Railway runs from Neustrelitz to Plaaz. The journey takes about an hour and trains run on weekends from May to October.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Neustrelitz, Germany
1) Visit the local museum – The Museum am Markt is a great place to take kids to learn about the history and culture of Neustrelitz.
2) Go for a walk in the park – There are several parks in Neustrelitz, perfect for a leisurely stroll or picnic lunch.
3) Ride the mini train – The local mini train is a great way to see the sights of Neustrelitz without getting too tired.
4) Visit the animal farm – The Tierpark Neustrelitz is a great place to see and learn about a variety of animals.
5) Explore the castle – The Schloss Neustrelitz is a great place to explore, with a number of rooms and areas to discover.
6) See the boats – Neustrelitz is situated on a lake, so there are often boats out and about. Kids will love seeing them up close.
7) Visit the swimming pool – The Stadtbad Neustrelitz is a great place to take the kids for a swim, with a number of different pools to choose from.
8) Get ice cream – What kid doesn’t love ice cream? There are a few ice cream shops in Neustrelitz, perfect for a sweet treat.
9) Play in the playground – There are several playgrounds dotted around Neustrelitz, perfect for letting off some energy.
10) Go on a bike ride – Neustrelitz is a great place to explore by bike, with plenty of cycle paths to follow.