Nelson is a great place for families with young children. There are plenty of kid-friendly things to do in the city, as well as many opportunities to get out and explore the natural beauty of the surrounding area.
One of the most popular kid-friendly attractions in Nelson is the monthly Sunday market. This is a great place to find fresh produce, handmade goods, and live entertainment. Kids will love exploring the stalls and watching the buskers.
The Nelson region is also home to a number of animal sanctuaries and farms, where kids can meet and learn about a variety of different animals. Some of the most popular sanctuaries include the Alpacaly Ever After farm, the Nikau Sanctuary, and the World of Birds wildlife park.
For families looking for an outdoor adventure, the Abel Tasman National Park is a must-visit. there are many different walks and hikes suitable for all fitness levels, as well as plenty of chances to spot native wildlife. Kids will also love visiting the golden sand beaches and swimming in the crystal clear waters.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Nelson, New Zealand
1. Visit the World of Penguins at the Nelson City Council’s Natureland Zoo. This hands-on exhibit is home to little blue penguins, as well as other species of penguins and birds.
2. Take a dip in the mineral pools at the Botanical Reserve.
3. Visit the Suter Art Gallery. This gallery has a Kids Pathway program which includes a series of activities and games for children to help them engage with the artwork.
4. Head to Tahunanui Beach for a day of sandcastle building, swimming and picnicking.
5. Ride the antique carousel at the Founders Heritage Park.
6. Visit the Nelson Market on Saturday mornings. This market has a wide variety of fresh produce, arts and crafts, and live music.
7. Get up close and personal with native New Zealand animals at the Wildbase Recovery Centre.
8. Take a scenic walk or cycle along the Nelson Mandela Trail.
9. Visit the World of Insects to learn all about our creepy-crawly friends.
10. Have a Viking Adventure at the Hjalmar Viking Centre.This centre offers axe throwing, archery, and axe grinding, as well as a kids’ play area.