Spain is a renowned tourist destination for a plethora of reasons: its stunningly well-preserved architecture and historical landmarks, Mediterranean atmosphere, diverse landscape, tasty cuisine, and passionate culture. Situated in the southeast of the Iberian Peninsula, the Autonomous Community of Murcia is no exception to these charms. With sunny weather all year round and a range of activities on offer, Murcia is an ideal destination for a family vacation. Here are ten kid-friendly activities to enjoy in Murcia, Spain.
The first stop on our list is the Murcia Archaeological Museum, which houses an impressive collection of Roman and Moorish artifacts. Kids will love seeing the ancient everyday items, sculptures, and jewelry on display. For a more hands-on experience, the nearby Roman Villa of La Olmeda offers guided tours of the ruins and an opportunity to try on traditional Roman dress.
If your family enjoys the outdoors, Murcia has plenty to offer in terms of natural beauty. Take a hike through the stunningly verdant Sierra Espuna Natural Park or cool off with a swim in the crystal-clear waters of the Mar Menor lagoon. For a closer look at the local wildlife, head to the Murcia Zoo or the Cabezo Gato Cave, where you can view bats, reptiles, and other animals in their natural habitat.
After a day of exploring, refuel with some traditional Murcian cuisine. Dishes like arroz caldero (a type of rice dish), pisto (a ratatouille-like vegetable stew), and papas arrugadas (wrinkled potatoes) are not to be missed. For dessert, try a piece of the region’s signature pastry, the roscón de Reyes, a ring-shaped cake traditionally eaten on Epiphany.
No trip to Murcia would be complete without experiencing a bit of its vibrant culture. Visit the imposing cathedral in the city center or take in a Flamenco show. For a more light-hearted cultural activity, participate in the Murcia Tomatina, a messy yet fun annual festival where participants pelt each other with tomatoes.
So, there you have it: ten kid-friendly things to do in Murcia, Spain. With its diverse array of activities, Murcia is sure to please families of all ages and interests.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Murcia, Spain
1. Visit the Museo de carruajes de Murcia: This museum is dedicated to horse-drawn carriages and is a great activity for kids who love horses.
2. Go on a boat ride: Murcia is located on the Segura River, so going on a boat ride is a great way to see the city from a different perspective.
3. Explore the castle: Murcia’s castle, the Castillo de Santa Maria, is a great place to explore with kids.
4. Visit the zoo: Murcia’s zoo, the Bioparc, is home to a variety of animals, making it a great place to learn about wildlife.
5. Have a picnic in the park: Murcia is home to a number of parks, making it the perfect place to have a picnic with the family.
6. Go to the beach: Murcia is located on the Mediterranean Sea, so going to the beach is a great way to enjoy the sun and the water.
7. Visit the aquarium: Murcia’s aquarium, the Aquarium of Murcia, is a great place to learn about marine life.
8. Go on a safari: Murcia’s safari park, the Safari Aitana, is a great place to see a variety of animals in their natural habitat.
9. See a movie: Murcia’s movie theater, the Cineciudad, is a great place to catch a film with the family.
10. Go shopping: Murcia is home to a number of shopping malls, making it the perfect place to find souvenirs for the family.