Lourdes is a small town located in the Hautes-Pyrenees department in southwestern France. The town is best known for the Marian apparitions of Our Lady of Lourdes, which reportedly occurred in 1858 to a young peasant girl named Bernadette Soubirous. The apparitions are said to have occurred in a grotto, which is now a major pilgrimage site for Catholics from all over the world.
There are several kid-friendly things to do in Lourdes. One option is to visit the Pic du Jer, which is a cable car that takes visitors to the top of a nearby mountain. There are also several parks and playgrounds in Lourdes, as well as a water park. For those interested in history, the Musée Pyrénéan is a museum that chronicles the history of the Hautes-Pyrenees region.
Lourdes is also home to several different festivals throughout the year. In February, the town celebrates Mardi Gras, which includes a parade and festivities. In late March or early April, the town celebrates Easter with a procession and mass. And in early August, the town holds a festival to celebrate the apparitions of Our Lady of Lourdes.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Lourdes, France
1. Visit the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes: The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes is a Catholic pilgrimage site in Lourdes, France. Every year, millions of people from all over the world come to Lourdes to visit the Sanctuary. The Sanctuary is home to the Grotto of Massabielle, where Our Lady of Lourdes is said to have appeared to Saint Bernadette Soubirous in 1858.
2. Take a dip in the Lourdes miracle baths: The Lourdes miracle baths are a set of baths located within the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes. The water in the baths is said to have healing properties, and people come from all over the world to bathe in them.
3. Visit the Pont d’Arc: The Pont d’Arc is a natural bridge over the Ardèche River in southern France. It is a popular spot for camping, hiking, and picnicking.
4. Take a ride on the Lourdes funicular: The Lourdes funicular is a railway that runs from the town of Lourdes up to the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes. The funicular is a popular way for visitors to get to the Sanctuary.
5. Visit the Musée Pyrénéen: The Musée Pyrénéen is a museum in Lourdes, France. The museum is dedicated to the history and culture of the Pyrenees mountain range.
6. Go skiing in the Pyrenees: The Pyrenees is a mountain range that runs along the border between France and Spain. The Pyrenees are a popular destination for skiing and snowboarding.
7. Visit the Château fort de Lourdes: The Château fort de Lourdes is a medieval castle in Lourdes, France. The castle is open to the public and is a popular tourist attraction.
8. Visit the Grottes de Betharam: The Grottes de Betharam are a set of caves in Lourdes, France. The caves are home to a colony of bats, and they are a popular tourist attraction.
9. Visit the Cimetière Souterrain: The Cimetière Souterrain is a underground cemetery in Lourdes, France. The cemetery is open to the public and is a popular tourist attraction.
10. Explore the town of Lourdes: The town of Lourdes is a small town in the south of France. The town is home to the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes.