Situated on the west coast of Africa, Libreville is the capital of Gabon. Although not a large city, Libreville boasts a number of kid-friendly activities. The Jardin Zoologique et Botanique de Libreville is a large zoo and gardens that is perfect for a family day out. Kids will love seeing the variety of animals, from lions and tigers to gorillas and chimpanzees. There is also a playground and a petting zoo. For a more cultural experience, visit the Musée des Arts et de Traditions Gabonaises. The museum has a range of exhibits on Gabonese art, culture and history, as well as a hands-on workshop where kids can make their own masks and sculptures. If your kids are looking for some excitement, head to the Aqualand water park. With slides, a lazy river and a wave pool, they’re sure to have a blast.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Libreville, Gabon
1. Visit the zoo: The Libreville Zoo is home to over 200 animals, including lions, giraffes, hippos, and chimpanzees. There are also several aquariums filled with tropical fish. The zoo also has a playground and a picnic area.
2. Play at the beach: Libreville has several beautiful beaches where kids can swim, build sandcastles, and look for shells.
3. Visit the museums: The Libreville Museum of Art and the Libreville Museum of History are both great places to learn about Gabon and its culture.
4. Take a boat ride: A boat ride on the Gabon River is a great way to see the city from a different perspective.
5. Go on a safari: The Libreville Safari Park is home to over 500 animals, including lions, elephants, and rhinos. Visitors can take a safari tour or ride on the back of an elephant.
6. Visit the market: The Libreville Market is a great place to find fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as traditional African handicrafts.
7. Take a dance class: Learn how to SENEGalese dance or try your hand at drumming at one of Libreville’s many dance studios.
8. Go hiking: There are several hiking trails in Libreville, both in the city and in the surrounding rainforest.
9. Play sports: Libreville has several parks and playgrounds where kids can play sports such as soccer, basketball, and tennis.
10. Go camping: There are several campsites in and around Libreville where you can pitch a tent and spend a night under the stars.