Kurunegala is a great city for families with young children. There are plenty of kid-friendly things to do, including exploring the many parks and playgrounds, visiting the Zoo, or taking a scenic boat ride.
For families with older children, there are plenty of activities to keep everyone entertained. Take a tour of the ancient city, go hiking in the nearby mountains, or explore the many temples and historical sites. Kurunegala has something for everyone, making it the perfect place to visit with your family.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Kurunegala, Sri Lanka
1. Visit the Dambulla Cave Temple – The Dambulla Cave Temple is a World Heritage Site that is home to over 150 statues and paintings of Buddha. It is a great place to learn about Buddhism and Sri Lankan culture.
2. Go on a safari at the Minneriya National Park – Minneriya National Park is home to elephants, leopards, bears, and many other animals. You can take a safari through the park to see all the wildlife.
3. Visit the Sigiriya Rock Fortress – The Sigiriya Rock Fortress is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that was once the home of a king. It is now a great place to hike and see some amazing views.
4. Go to the Kandy Lake – The Kandy Lake is a beautiful man-made lake that is surrounded by temples and other buildings. You can go for a walk or a boat ride around the lake.
5. See the Sri Dalada Maligawa – The Sri Dalada Maligawa is a temple that houses the sacred Tooth Relic of Buddha. It is an important site for Buddhists and a great place to learn about Sri Lankan culture.
6. Go shopping at the Kurunegala Market – The Kurunegala Market is a great place to buy fruits, vegetables, and other goods. You can also find great Sri Lankan food here.
7. Visit the Galle Fort – The Galle Fort is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that was built by the Dutch. It is a great place to walk around and learn about Sri Lankan history.
8. Go to the Beach – Sri Lanka has many beautiful beaches where you can relax, swim, and sunbathe.
9. Try Sri Lankan food – Sri Lankan food is very spicy and flavorful. You can find it in many restaurants around Kurunegala.
10. Learn about Buddhism – Buddhism is the main religion in Sri Lanka. You can learn about it by visiting temples and other religious sites.