If you’re looking for kid-friendly things to do in Kaktovik, Alaska, there are plenty of options! For starters, you can explore the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge with a ranger-led tour. Or, take a boat ride out to see the whales and other marine wildlife in the protected waters of the Inupiat Archepelago. For a real adventure, and an up-close look at Alaskan wildlife, consider a stay at one of Kaktovik’s many lodges and campsites. There’s also plenty of fishing, hiking, and picnicking to be had in and around the village.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Kaktovik, Alaska
1. Go whale watching! Kaktovik is one of the best places in Alaska to see humpback whales. With a little patience and a lot of binoculars, you’re sure to catch a glimpse of these gentle giants.
2. Visit the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. This vast preserve is home to an abundance of wildlife, including caribou, polar bears, and foxes.
3. Take a picture with a real Eskimo! Kaktovik is one of the only places in the world where you can find authentic Inupiat Eskimos. Be sure to ask before taking a photo, as some people may not want their picture taken.
4. Go ice fishing. If you’re feeling adventurous, why not try your hand at ice fishing? Kaktovik is the perfect place to give it a go, with its many lakes and rivers.
5. Dog sledding. Dog sledding is a quintessential Alaska experience, and there’s no better place to do it than Kaktovik.
6. Northern lights viewing. If you’re lucky, you might be able to see the aurora borealis in Kaktovik. This natural light show is truly a sight to behold.
7. Snowmobiling. There’s nothing quite like tearing across the snow-covered tundra on a snowmobile. Kaktovik is the perfect place to Give it a try.
8. Cross-country skiing. If you’re looking for a more leisurely way to enjoy the snow, cross-country skiing is the perfect activity.
9. Ice skating. What better way to enjoy a frigid Alaska day than by strapping on a pair of ice skates and hitting the local rink?
10. Make a snowman. Last but not least, building a snowman is a must-do when in Kaktovik. Be sure to dress him up in his best Eskimo gear!