Hornchurch is a historic market town in the London Borough of Havering in East London, England. It is located 15.2 miles (24.5 km) east-northeast of Charing Cross and 5 miles (8.0 km) east of Romford. It is the administrative centre of the borough.
The town has a population of around 13,000. Hornchurch is an integrated income and employment-generating centre with many high street retail chains and restaurants. The main shopping street in Hornchurch is Broadway.
Hornchurch is twinned with Hures-la-Parade in the Haute-Garonne department of France.
There are many kid-friendly activities to do in Hornchurch. One option is to visit Havering Museum, which tells the story of the borough from the Ice Age to the present day. The museum has interactive displays, hands-on activities, and a Discovery Centre for kids. Another option is to explore the grounds of Upminster Windmill, a working 18th-century windmill that is open to the public. Kids can learn about how flour is made, see the mill in action, and climb to the top of the mill for views of the surrounding area.
For something a bit more active, kids can burn off some energy at Rainbow Leisure Centre, which has a swimming pool, a soft play area, and a climbing wall. Or, they can run around in one of Hornchurch’s many parks, such as Harrow Lodge Park, which has a playground, a paddling pool, and a nature trail.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Hornchurch, United Kingdom
1. Visit the Havering Museum: The Havering Museum is a great place to take kids to learn about the history of the borough and its people. The museum has interactive exhibits, a kids’ activity area, and a café.
2. Go for a walk or bike ride in Raphael Park: Raphael Park is a large park in the center of Hornchurch with plenty of space to run around, a playground, and a café.
3. Have a picnic in Queens’ Park: Queens’ Park is a smaller park with a playground, a pond, and a café. It’s a great place to have a picnic or go for a walk.
4. Visit the Hornchurch Country Park: The Hornchurch Country Park is a large park with hiking trails, a playground, a lake, and a visitor center.
5. Go to Havering-atte-Bower Aviation Museum: The Havering-atte-Bower Aviation Museum is a great place for kids to learn about the history of aviation in the borough. The museum has interactive exhibits, a kids’ activity area, and a café.
6. See a show at the Queen’s Theatre: The Queen’s Theatre is a local theater that puts on kid-friendly shows throughout the year.
7. Attend a meeting of the Hornchurch Town Council: The Hornchurch Town Council meets once a month and kids are welcome to attend the meetings and learn about how the council works.
8. Go to the Romford Market: The Romford Market is a large outdoor market with stalls selling a variety of goods, including fresh produce, clothes, and souvenirs.
9. Visit the Havering History Centre: The Havering History Centre is a great place to take kids to learn about the history of the borough. The centre has interactive exhibits, a kids’ activity area, and a café.
10. Head to the Havering Arts Centre: The Havering Arts Centre is a great place for kids to take part in art and music activities. The centre has a number of studios and galleries, and hosts regular events and workshops.