If you’re looking for kid-friendly activities in Hinton, West Virginia, you won’t be disappointed. There are plenty of things to keep little ones entertained in this charming town. Start your visit at the My Little Red Wagon Farm, where kids can explore a working farm and meet the animals. Then, head to the Hinton Railroad Museum to learn about the town’s rich history and see some vintage locomotives. Don’t miss a stop at the Summers Countyberus Dam, where you can see the impressive engineering up close and even walk across the top of the dam. Kids will also love splashing around in the cool waters of the New River. For a fun-filled day, head to the Riverside Amusement Park, where you can ride the carousel, play miniature golf, and more. There’s also plenty of hiking and camping to be had in the nearby New River Gorge National Park.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Hinton, West Virginia
1. Visit the Lost World Caverns: The Lost World Caverns are a series of caves and underground formations located in Hinton, West Virginia. The caverns are open for tours year-round and offer a variety of educational programs for kids.
2. Take a hike at the Bluestone Wildlife Management Area: The Bluestone Wildlife Management Area is a hiking and camping destination located in Hinton, West Virginia. The area is home to a variety of wildlife, including birds, deer, and wild turkeys.
3. Visit the Hinton Railroad Museum: The Hinton Railroad Museum is a museum dedicated to the history of the railroads in Hinton, West Virginia. The museum is open year-round and offers a variety of exhibits and educational programs for kids.
4. Play at the Hinton City Park: The Hinton City Park is a public park located in Hinton, West Virginia. The park offers a variety of amenities, including a playground, picnic areas, and a walking trail.
5. Go fishing at the Bluestone River: The Bluestone River is a river located in Hinton, West Virginia. The river is stocked with a variety of fish, including trout, bass, and catfish.
6. Visit the New River Gorge Bridge: The New River Gorge Bridge is a steel arch bridge located in Hinton, West Virginia. The bridge is the tallest in the United States and is a popular destination for both tourists and locals.
7. Take a scenic drive on the Midland Trail: The Midland Trail is a scenic byway located in Hinton, West Virginia. The byway offers a variety of scenic views, including mountains, forests, and rivers.
8. Visit the Summersville Lake: The Summersville Lake is a man-made lake located in Hinton, West Virginia. The lake is a popular destination for swimming, fishing, and boating.
9. Go horseback riding at the Twin Falls Resort State Park: The Twin Falls Resort State Park is a state park located in Hinton, West Virginia. The park offers a variety of amenities, including horseback riding trails, a playground, and a swimming pool.
10. Visit the abandoned town of Thurmond: The abandoned town of Thurmond is located in Hinton, West Virginia. The town was once a thriving coal mining town but is now a ghost town.