There are plenty of kid friendly things to do in the Highland Lakes area of New Jersey. For starters, the area is home to several state parks including Hacklebarney State Park and Lewis Morris State Park, both of which offer hiking, fishing, and camping opportunities. The area is also home to several interactive museums such as the New Jersey Museum of Boating and the NJ Museum of Transportation.
In terms of kid-centric activities, the Highland Lakes area is home to several kid-friendly attractions. The Bamboo Ranch is a petting zoo and farm that features pigs, llamas, and peacocks. For those looking for a more traditional zoo experience, the nearby Space Farms Zoo & Museum offers over 200 animals on site.
The area is also home to several water parks including the Mountain Creek Waterpark, which features over 40 rides and attractions. For a more calm water experience, the Lakota Wolf Preserve offers kayaking and canoeing on serene Greenwood Lake.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Highland Lakes, New Jersey
1. Visit the New Jersey Museum of Boats, Boats, and Boating: This museum is dedicated to preserving the state’s rich maritime history. There are interactive exhibits, educational programs, and a variety of boats on display.
2. Take a hike at the Penn Mountain Wildlife Management Area: This scenic spot is perfect for a nature hike or picnic. There are also fishing and hunting opportunities available.
3. Go apple picking at Highland Orchard: This family-friendly farm offers apple picking in the fall, as well as a variety of other seasonal fruits and vegetables.
4. Visit the historic Village of Newton: This quaint village is home to a variety of shops and restaurants, as well as historic sites like the Newton Theatre.
5. Play a round of mini golf at Camelot Park: This 18-hole course features a variety of obstacles and challenges for players of all skill levels.
6. Explore the Sterling Hill Mining Museum: This museum offers tours of an old zinc mine, as well as exhibits on the history of mining in the area.
7. Visit the Space Farms Zoo and Museum: This family-friendly zoo features over 200 animals, as well as a museum with interactive exhibits.
8. Go for a swim at Spruce Run Recreation Area: This state park features a beach area for swimming, as well as a variety of hiking and biking trails.
9. Play a round of golf at one of Highland Lakes’ many courses: The area is home to a number of challenging and scenic golf courses.
10. Take a scenic drive through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area: This popular spot features over 70 miles of scenic roads to explore.