There are plenty of things to keep kids entertained in Hico, Texas. The town has a rich western heritage, and there are a number of museums and historical sites to explore. The Hico Historic downtown area is a great place to start, and the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum is a must-see. Kids will also love the Hico Old Jail and Heritage House.
For a more active day out, head to Glen Rose and visit Fossil Rim Wildlife Center, where kids can get up close to all kinds of animals. Dinosaur Valley State Park is another great spot for outdoor fun, and kids will love getting to see real dinosaur footprints. Cameron Park is perfect for a picnic, and there’s also a great playground and swimming pool.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Hico, Texas
1. Visit the Dr. Pepper Museum – The Dr. Pepper Museum is a great place to learn about the history of the iconic soft drink. The museum features exhibits on the history of the drink, the bottling process, and the company itself.
2. Take a tour of the Mayfield Dairy Farm – The Mayfield Dairy Farm is a working dairy farm that offers tours to the public. Visitors can tour the dairy farm and see how the milk is produced.
3. Visit the Hico Railroad Museum – The Hico Railroad Museum is a great place to learn about the history of the railroad in Texas. The museum features exhibits on the construction of the railroad, the development of the railroad industry, and the people who worked on the railroad.
4. Go hiking at the Hico State Park – The Hico State Park is a great place to go hiking. The park has 10 miles of hiking trails that wind through the scenic Hill Country.
5. Visit the Hico Chamber of Commerce – The Hico Chamber of Commerce is a great place to learn about the history and culture of the town. The chamber offers tours of the town, and the museum features exhibits on the history of the town and the people who live there.
6. Go fishing at the Hico Lake – The Hico Lake is a great place to go fishing. The lake is stocked with fish, and there are also boats available for rent.
7. Play golf at the Hico Municipal Golf Course – The Hico Municipal Golf Course is a great place to play golf. The course is 18 holes and is open to the public.
8. Shop at the Hico Farmer’s Market – The Hico Farmer’s Market is a great place to buy fresh produce and handmade goods. The market is open every Saturday from 9am to 1pm.
9. Visit the Hico Public Library – The Hico Public Library is a great place to find books and magazines. The library also has a meeting room that can be rented for events.
10. Attend the Hico Rodeo – The Hico Rodeo is a great place to see some of the best rodeo action in Texas. The rodeo is held every year in February.