Herzogenrath is a town located in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is situated on the River Rur, just south of the city of Aachen. Herzogenrath was first mentioned in 1096, when it was a village belonging to the Abbey of Prüm. The town was chartered in 1288 by Count Henry I of Jülich. Herzogenrath has a population of just over 34,000.
There are a number of kid-friendly things to do in Herzogenrath. One option is the AquaPark, which is an indoor water park with slides, a wave pool, and a lazy river. The AquaPark is open year-round, making it a great option for a rainy day activity. Another option is the Rodelbahn Kappesberg, which is an indoor toboggan run. The toboggan run is open from October to March.
For those looking for something a bit more active, the Freizeitpark Rureifel is a great option. The park has a number of hiking and biking trails, as well as a playground and a number of sports facilities. The Freizeitpark Rureifel is open year-round.
Herzogenrath also has a number of museums, including the NRW Mining Museum, the Herzogenrath Castle Museum, and the Dreischorner Heimatmuseum. The NRW Mining Museum is located in an old coal mine and offers a look at the history of mining in the area. The Herzogenrath Castle Museum is located in a 12th century castle and offers a look at the history of the castle and the town. The Dreischorner Heimatmuseum is a local history museum with a number of exhibits on the history of the town and the surrounding area.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Herzogenrath, Germany
1. Kids will love exploring the Alte Burg, an 11th century castle ruins that includes a moat and drawbridge.
2. The Stadtmuseum Herzogenrath offers a charming look at the history of the city, with both permanent and temporary exhibitions.
3. The Tiergarten Herzogenrath is a lovely place for a stroll with the kids, where they can see all kinds of animals including tapirs, lemurs, and owls.
4. For a fun day out, head to Wild- und Freizeitpark Klotten, where kids can enjoy rides and attractions like a petting zoo and a mini train.
5. The Eifelmaare are four crater lakes that are perfect for a refreshing swim on a hot day.
6. The Moselle River is a beautiful spot for a leisurely paddle in a canoe or kayak.
7. The Soerser Weiher is a great place to relax and take in the scenery, with a playground and beach area for the kids to enjoy.
8. A visit to the Glacis Galerie shopping centre is a fun way to spend an afternoon, with plenty of shops and restaurants to keep everyone happy.
9. The indoor swimming pool at the Euregio Center is a great place to cool off, with slides, a sauna, and a steam room also on offer.
10. For a fun-filled day out, head to Phantasialand, an amusement park with rollercoasters, shows, and a water park.