Take a leisurely stroll down to the Heidelberg castle and explore the ramparts. For the ultimate in kid-friendly castles, take them to see the fairytale castle of Neuschwanstein. Visit the Märchenparadies, or Fairy Tale Paradise. This indoor playpark has climbing, balancing and other activities for kids. Let them explore the animal world at the Zoo Heidelberg. This zoological gardens is home to over 1,600 animals from all over the world. Take a ride on the Bergbahn, or Heidelberg Mountain Railway, which will take you up to the Königstuhl summit for magnificent views over the city. Stop at the Philosophenweg, or Philosophers Walk, for a lovely stroll along the Neckar river. Kids will enjoy seeing all the different statues along the way. For a memorable experience, take a cruise on the Neckar river on one of the many sternwheeler ships.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Heidelberg, Germany
1. Go on a riverboat cruise: A riverboat cruise is a great way to see Heidelberg from a different perspective. You can learn about the city’s history and see some of its most famous landmarks, such as the Heidelberg Castle, from the water.
2. Visit the Heidelberg Zoo: The Heidelberg Zoo is a great place to take kids of all ages. There are more than 1,500 animals to see, including tigers, lions, elephants, and giraffes. The zoo also has a petting zoo area where kids can get up close and personal with some of the animals.
3. Go to the Heidelberg castle: The Heidelberg castle is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Heidelberg. It is a large ruined castle that sits atop a hill overlooking the city. Kids will love exploring the castle grounds and learning about its history.
4. Take a cable car ride up the Heiligenberg mountain: For a breathtaking view of Heidelberg, take a cable car ride up the Heiligenberg mountain. The ride takes just a few minutes, and at the top, you’ll be able to see for miles in all directions.
5. Visit the Philharmonie: The Philharmonie is a concert hall in Heidelberg that is home to the Heidelberg Symphony Orchestra. Kids will enjoy listening to the music and seeing the instruments up close.
6. See a puppet show at the Puppentheater: The Puppentheater is a puppet theater in Heidelberg that puts on shows for kids of all ages. The shows are typically in German, but many of them have English subtitles.
7. Go to the Bismarckplatz square: The Bismarckplatz square is a popular gathering place in Heidelberg. Kids will enjoy playing in the fountain and people-watching from one of the many cafes that surround the square.
8. Visit the Studentenkarzer: The Studentenkarzer is a jail that was once used to imprison students who broke the law. Today, it is a museum where you can learn about the history of the jail and see some of the cells where the students were held.
9. Take a ride on the Heidelberg Funicular Railway: The Heidelberg Funicular Railway is a small train that runs up and down the hill between the Heidelberg castle and the city center. Kids will love riding on the train and getting a bird’s eye view of the city.
10. Go to the Parkhaus am Bismarckplatz: The Parkhaus am Bismarckplatz is an underground parking garage that is also home to a small amusement park. Kids can ride the carousel, go on the Ferris wheel, and play in the arcade.