Gustavus is a great place to raise kids. Situated on the west coast of Alaska, Gustavus is only a short ferry ride from Juneau, the state capital. With a population of just over 400, it’s a small, close-knit community where everyone knows everyone. It’s the perfect place to raise a family and get back to nature.
There are endless opportunities for outdoor activities in Gustavus. Kids can explore the tidepools at Low Tide Beach, go for a hike in the rainforest, or try their hand at fishing in one of the many lakes and streams. In the winter, there is excellent sledding and cross-country skiing.
The St. Elias Convention Center is the hub of activity in Gustavus. It houses the public library, a performance stage, and a gymnasium. There are also several parks and playgrounds in town. The Gustavus Recreation Department offers a variety of classes and programs for kids of all ages, from sports to arts and crafts.
Every summer, the town comes together for the Glacier Music Festival. The festival features a week of concerts, workshops, and other events. Kids can participate in the Instrument Petting Zoo, where they can try out different instruments and learn about music.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Gustavus, Alaska
1. Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve: This national park is a must-see for anyone visiting Gustavus. The park is home to glaciers, wildlife, and stunning scenery. Visitors can take part in ranger-led programs, go on hikes, and go kayaking or fishing in the park.
2. Alaskanled Cabin: The Alaskanled Cabin is a great place to stay while visiting Gustavus. The cabin is centrally located and offers easy access to the park and other attractions in the area. The cabin is also pet-friendly, making it a great option for families traveling with pets.
3. Coastal exploring: Gustavus is located on the coast of Alaska, making it the perfect place to go exploring. Visitors can take part in guided tours, go on hikes, or even go kayaking or fishing. There are many different ways to explore the area and visitors are sure to find something that interests them.
4. Bird watching: Gustavus is home to many different types of birds, making it a great place for bird watching. Visitors can go on guided bird watching tours or simply explore the area on their own. Either way, bird watchers are sure to have a great time.
5. Whale watching: Whales are often seen in the waters off of Gustavus and whale watching is a popular activity. Visitors can take part in guided whale watching tours or go on their own whale watching excursion. Either way, visitors are sure to see some amazing whales.
6. Glacier Dog Sled Tours: Glacier Dog Sled Tours offers visitors the opportunity to go on a dog sledding adventure. Visitors will love the chance to experience dog sledding and the beautiful scenery.
7. Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Center: The Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Center is a great place to learn about Alaska’s wildlife. The center offers educational programs, tours, and even has a zoo. Visitors will love the chance to learn about Alaska’s wildlife and see some of it up close.
8. Sitka National Historical Park: Sitka National Historical Park is a must-see for anyone interested in Alaska’s history. The park offers educational programs, tours, and even has a museum. Visitors will love the chance to learn about Alaska’s history and see some of the historical sites.
9. Hiking: Gustavus is home to many different hiking trails. Visitors can take part in guided hikes or go on their own hike. Either way, visitors are sure to see some beautiful scenery and get some exercise.
10. Shopping: Gustavus has many different shops for visitors to enjoy. There are souvenir shops, art galleries, and even clothing stores. Visitors will love the chance to find unique gifts and souvenirs.