Grytviken is a small village located on the island of South Georgia, in the South Sandwich Islands. Although the village is quite remote, there are a few kid-friendly activities that can be enjoyed. One of the most popular activities is hiking. There are numerous hiking trails of varying difficulty levels, which wind through the stunning landscapes of the island. Grytviken is also home to a colony of king penguins, which can be observed from a safe distance. Another activity that kids will enjoy is visiting the small museum located in the village. The museum tells the story of Grytviken’s history, from its whaling days to its present-day existence as a research station.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Grytviken, South Georgia And The South Sandwich Islands
1. Visit the Right Whale Bay: The Right Whale Bay is a beautiful area located in Grytviken where you can see right whales swimming in the bay.
2. Take a Hike: There are many hiking trails located in Grytviken which are perfect for exploring the beautiful scenery.
3. Visit the Stromness Museum: The Stromness Museum is a great place to learn about the history of Grytviken and the South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands.
4. Go Whale Watching: Grytviken is the perfect place to go whale watching as there are many different types of whales that can be seen in the area.
5. Visit the Shackleton Museum: The Shackleton Museum is a must-see for any history buffs as it contains many interesting artifacts from the time of Ernest Shackleton.
6. Attend a Church Service: Church services are held regularly in Grytviken at the St. James Anglican Church.
7. Go Birdwatching: Birdwatching is a popular activity in Grytviken as there are many different types of birds to be seen in the area.
8. Take a Boat Tour: Boat tours are available which will take you around Grytviken and allow you to see the sights from the water.
9. Go Camping: Grytviken is the perfect place to go camping as there are many beautiful camping spots located nearby.
10. Visit the South Georgia Heritage Trust: The South Georgia Heritage Trust is a great place to learn more about the conservation efforts being made to preserve the environment of Grytviken.