Greifswald is a historic town in northeastern Germany. It is located on the Baltic Sea between Rostock and Stralsund. The town is home to the University of Greifswald, which was founded in 1456, making it the second oldest university in Scandinavia. The town is also a popular tourist destination, with many museums, galleries, and historic buildings. There are also many kid-friendly things to do in Greifswald, such as visiting the children’s museum, playing in the park, or going on a boat tour.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Greifswald, Germany
1. Visit the historic town center: Greifswald’s historic town center is a great place to start exploring the city. With its many shops, cafes, and restaurants, there is something for everyone. Take a stroll down the pedestrian-only streets and admire the architecture.
2. Climb the tower at St. Nicholas Church: For a bird’s eye view of Greifswald, climb the tower at St. Nicholas Church. Dating back to the 14th century, the church is one of the most important landmark buildings in the city.
3. Visit the harbor: Greifswald is located on the Baltic Sea, so be sure to visit the harbor. Here you can take a boat ride, go fishing, or just enjoy the views.
4. Go for a swim: Greifswald is home to several beaches where you can go for a swim or soak up the sun. Baabe Beach and Binz Beach are two of the most popular.
5. Ride the Greifswald Railway: The Greifswald Railway is a narrow gauge railway that runs for 12 kilometers through the city. Take a ride on one of the historic steam trains for a unique experience.
6. Visit the University of Greifswald: Founded in 1456, the University of Greifswald is the oldest university in northern Europe. Take a tour of the campus and see the historic buildings.
7. Explore the museums: Greifswald is home to several museums, including the Ernst Moritz Arndt House, the Greifswald Maritime Museum, and the Greifswald Natural History Museum.
8. Go on a hike: There are several hiking trails in and around Greifswald. Explore the forests and hills, and take in the stunning scenery.
9. Play golf: Greifswald is home to several golf courses where you can enjoy a round or two.
10. Visit the animal park: Greifswald’s animal park is a great place to see a variety of animals, including lions, tigers, and bears.