Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a picturesque town in the Bavarian Alps of southern Germany. It’s a great place to visit with kids, with plenty of things to keep them entertained.
One highlight is the Zugspitze, Germany’s highest mountain. You can take a cable car to the top for unbeatable views, or if you’re feeling adventurous, hike up one of the many trails. There’s also an alpine theme park at the base of the Zugspitze with rides, mini golf, and a kids’ playground.
In the town itself, be sure to explore the pedestrian-only old town with its traditional Bavarian architecture and lovely shops. There’s also a large pedestrian path along the River Partnach that’s perfect for a family stroll.
Other kid-friendly activities in Garmisch-Partenkirchen include visiting the 360° Panorama Museum, riding the Alpine Coaster, and taking a horse-drawn carriage ride. For a taste of Bavarian culture, stop by one of the many beer gardens for a traditional meal of sausages, pretzels, and of course, beer.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
1. Play at the Partnachklamm gorge: The Partnachklamm gorge is a kid-friendly place to explore and play. There is a path that leads through the canyon and there are several bridges that cross the river. The gorge is also home to many birds and animals, so it’s a great place to go for a nature walk.
2. Visit the Munich Olympic Park: The Munich Olympic Park is a great place to visit for kids of all ages. There are many different attractions to explore, such as the Olympic Stadium, the Olympic Tower, and the Munich Olympic Park Museum.
3. Go on a hike: There are many hiking trails in and around Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Some of the popular trails include the Zugspitze Trail, the Eibsee Trail, and the Partenkirchner Höhenweg.
4. Visit the council ground of the Werdenfels Castle: The Werdenfels Castle is a must-see for any kid visiting Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The castle is situated on a hilltop and offers great views of the surrounding area.
5. Play in the snow at the Zugspitze: The Zugspitze is the highest mountain in Germany and is a great place to play in the snow. There are several ski lifts that take you to the top of the mountain and there are also many hiking trails.
6. Visit the toy museum: The toy museum is a great place to visit for kids of all ages. The museum has a collection of over 5,000 toys, including many antique toys.
7. Go to the Partenkirchen market: The Partenkirchen market is a great place to find souvenirs and gifts. There are many stalls selling handmade goods, such as clothes, jewelry, and pottery.
8.Visit the puppet theater: The puppet theater is a great place to take the kids for a show. The theater has a variety of different puppets and offers shows for all ages.
9. Go to the Garmisch-Partenkirchen Funicular Railway: The Garmisch-Partenkirchen Funicular Railway is a great way to see the sights of Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The railway takes you to the top of the Zugspitze mountain and gives you great views of the surrounding area.
10.Explore the Olympic Bobsleigh and Luge Track: The Olympic Bobsleigh and Luge Track is a great place to explore for kids of all ages. There are many different turns and loops to explore and the track is also home to a number of different animals.