Fort Washakie is a great place for kids to explore! There are plenty of hiking trails to discover, and the wildlife is always interesting to see. Fort Washakie is also home to the Historic Plains Indian Museum, which is a great place to learn about the history and culture of the area.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Fort Washakie, Wyoming
1. Take a hike: There are many hiking trails in Fort Washakie, ranging from easy to difficult. Some of the more popular trails include the Fort Washakie Trails, the Red Hills Trails, and the Wind River Canyon Trails.
2. Go horseback riding: Fort Washakie is home to many horseback riding stables. You can also go on a guided horseback ride through the beautiful Wind River Canyon.
3. Play in the park: There are several parks in Fort Washakie, including Pioneer Park, Fort Washakie City Park, and Boysen State Park. You can picnic, play on the playground, go fishing, or just explore the outdoors.
4. Visit the museums: Fort Washakie is home to several museums, including the Fort Washakie Museum, the Wyoming Frontier Prison Museum, and the Wind River Historical Museum.
5. Go on a scenic drive: There are many scenic drives in and around Fort Washakie. Some of the more popular drives include the Wind River Canyon Scenic Byway, the Beartooth Highway, and the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway.
6. Go camping: There are several campgrounds in and around Fort Washakie. You can pitch a tent, hook up an RV, or stay in one of the many cabins or lodges.
7. Go fishing: Fort Washakie is located in the Wind River Canyon, which is home to many trout streams. You can also fish in one of the many lakes in the area, such as Boysen Reservoir.
8. Play golf: Fort Washakie is home to several golf courses, including the Wind River Golf Course, the Riverton Country Club, and the Lander Municipal Golf Course.
9. Shop: There are several stores in Fort Washakie, including the Wind River Trading Company, the Wyoming Woolen Company, and the Shoshoni Mercantile. You can find everything from groceries to Western wear.
10. Eat: There are many places to eat in Fort Washakie, ranging from fast food to fine dining. Some of the more popular restaurants include the Wind River Grill, the Blackfoot Diner, and the Shoshoni Cafeteria.