Fort Thompson is a great place for kids! There are plenty of things to do to keep them entertained. The Lakota Cultural Institute is a great place to learn about the local culture and history. The Storybook Island is a great place to take the kids for a day of fun. There are also plenty of parks and playgrounds for the kids to enjoy. Fort Thompson is a great place for a family vacation!
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Fort Thompson, South Dakota
1. Teach kids about the history of the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe at the Cheyenne River Heritage Center. The Heritage Center features Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe artifacts, historic documents, and photographs.
2. Visit the Oahe Dam and Reservoir. The dam is one of the largest earthen dams in the world and the reservoir is the fourth largest artificial lake in the United States.
3. Spend a day hiking and picnicking at Bear Butte State Park. Bear Butte is a sacred site for many Native American tribes and a great place to hike, camp, and enjoy the scenery.
4. Go fishing at Francies Slough National Wildlife Refuge. Francies Slough is a great place to fish for catfish, bass, and other species.
5. Take a scenic drive down the Cheyenne River Scenic Byway. The byway passes through some of the most beautiful scenery in South Dakota, including the Cheyenne River Sioux reservation.
6. Learn about the Lakota culture at the Sitting Bull Crystal Caverns. The caverns feature a museum with Lakota artifacts, as well as crystal formations that are said to have healing properties.
7. Have a picnic at Custer State Park. Custer State Park is South Dakota’s largest state park and is home to a large herd of bison.
8. Go for a swim at Sica Hollow State Park. Sica Hollow State Park features a natural swimming hole that is perfect for cooling off on a hot day.
9. Take a hike to see the Falls of the Big Sioux River. The Falls of the Big Sioux River are a series of waterfalls on the Big Sioux River that are beautiful to see and great for hiking.
10. Visit the Crazy Horse Memorial. The Crazy Horse Memorial is a massive sculpture in the works that will eventually be the world’s largest sculpture.