Florence, South Dakota is a great place for families with young children. There are plenty of kid-friendly things to do in the area, including visiting the Children’s Museum of the Black Hills, taking a scenic drive through Custer State Park, or hiking to the top of Bear Butte. The city also hosts a variety of events throughout the year that are perfect for families, such as the Children’s Festival in the summer and the Pumpkinfest in the fall. Florence is a great place to raise a family or visit with young children, as there are plenty of activities to keep everyone occupied.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Florence, South Dakota
1. Visit the Children’s Museum of South Dakota: The Children’s Museum of South Dakota is a hands-on museum designed for children ages 0-12 and their families. The museum features over 30 interactive exhibits on a variety of topics including science, art, history, and culture.
2. Play at the Pioneer Playhouse: The Pioneer Playhouse is a unique playground located in Downtown Florence. The playhouse is designed to resemble a pioneer cabin and features a variety of play equipment including a slide, climbing wall, and crawl tunnel.
3. Go fishing at Spirit Mound: Spirit Mound is a state park located just outside of Florence. The park features a variety of hiking trails, picnicking areas, and a fishing pond.
4. Visit the osteology museum: The osteology museum is a small museum located on the campus of the University of South Dakota. The museum features a variety of osteological specimens, including human bones and fossils.
5. Play mini golf at Tower Golf: Tower Golf is an 18-hole miniature golf course located in Downtown Florence. The course features a variety of obstacles and challenges, including a replica of the Florence Courthouse.
6. Go for a swim at the Florence Municipal Pool: The Florence Municipal Pool is a public swimming pool located in Downtown Florence. The pool features a diving board, slide, and a shallow wading area for small children.
7. Watch a movie at the Florence Theatre: The Florence Theatre is a historic movie theatre located in Downtown Florence. The theatre features a variety of old and new movies, as well as live theatre performances.
8. Visit the Sioux Falls Zoo: The Sioux Falls Zoo is located just outside of Florence in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The zoo features over 100 different species of animals, as well as a variety of educational exhibits.
9. Play at the Great Bear Recreation Park: The Great Bear Recreation Park is a large park located just outside of Florence. The park features a variety of amenities including a water park, hiking trails, and a disc golf course.
10. Go for a walk or bike ride on the Sioux River Greenway: The Sioux River Greenway is a paved trail that follows the Sioux River through Florence. The trail is great for walking, biking, and Rollerblading, and offers stunning views of the river.