There is plenty for kids to do in Fairbanks, Alaska! The city is home to the University of Alaska Museum of the North, which has many kid-friendly exhibits and activities. The Fairbanks Children’s Museum is another great option, with hands-on exhibits and a play area. Other attractions include the Pioneer Park, the Fairbanks Ice Dogs hockey team, and the Fairbanks North Star Borough Public Libraries. In the summer, kids can cool off at the Creamer’s Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge, go fishing or tubing on the Chena River, or explore one of the many trails in the area. Fairbanks is also a great place to see the Northern Lights!
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Fairbanks, Alaska
1. Rent a car or take the bus and drive up to the nearby hills for a great view of the city and the surrounding landscapes.
2. Visit the University of Alaska Museum of the North for a fascinating look at the natural and cultural history of the area.
3. Visit the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center to learn about the history and culture of the Athabascan people.
4. Take a tour of the trans-Alaska pipeline terminal.
5. Visit the Pioneer Park Historical Complex to learn about the city’s early days as a mining town.
6. Have a picnic lunch in one of the many parks, such as Creamer’s Field or Agricultural Park.
7. Visit the Santa Claus House, where you can get your picture taken with Santa and buy Christmas presents year-round.
8. Go ice skating at the All Seasons Arena, or go tubing at one of the many sledding hills in town.
9. Visit the Alaskaland/Pioneer Park for rides, games, and general old-fashioned fun.
10. Take a scenic drive or hike on one of the many trails in the area, such as the Tanana Valley State Forest or the Chena River State Recreation Area.