There are plenty of kid-friendly activities to keep little ones entertained in Essen, Germany. The city is home to several family-friendly museums, including the Museum Folkwang and the Red Dot Design Museum. Both offer a variety of interactive exhibits and resources for kids. The city also boasts a number of parks perfect for an afternoon picnic or a game of tag. Herzog Park, Baldeneysee, and Grugapark are all popular choices. If your kids are looking for an adventure, they can explore the Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex, a UNESCO World Heritage site. A tour of the mine is a great way to learn about the city’s rich history and see some of its most important landmarks.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Essen, Germany
1. Visit the Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex in Essen: This site was once a major center of coal production in Germany, and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The complex includes a museum, a working mineshaft, and a variety of other industrial buildings. It’s a great place to learn about the city’s industrial history.
2. Check out the Old Town Hall in Essen: This imposing brick building dates back to the 14th century, and was once the center of government for the city. Today, it houses a museum which covers the history of the city.
3. Take a walk through Grugapark: This large park is the perfect place to take a stroll, have a picnic, or just relax. The park also has a playground, a botanical garden, and a variety of sculptures.
4. Visit the Museum Folkwang: This museum is one of the leading art museums in Germany, and houses a collection of art from the 18th to the 20th centuries.
5. Go for a swim at the Baldeneysee: This man-made lake is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and boating. There are also a number of restaurants and cafes located around the lake.
6. Take a ride on the Essen-Duisburg Railway: This railway line runs through the city, and offers a unique way to see the sights. The railway has a number of different routes, so you can choose which one suits you best.
7. Visit the Casino Zollverein: This former coal mine has been converted into a casino, and is a popular nightlife spot. The casino also has a restaurant, a bar, and a nightclub.
8. Drink a beer at the Brauhaus am Markt: This brewery is located in the Old Town, and offers a selection of traditional German beers. The brewery also has a restaurant, where you can try some of the local dishes.
9. Visit the Cathedral of Essen: This large cathedral is one of the most iconic landmarks in the city. The cathedral dates back to the 14th century, and is a beautiful example of Gothic architecture.
10. Shop at the CentrO: This large shopping center is one of the best places to find all of your shopping needs. The CentrO also has a number of restaurants, cafes, and bars.