Essaouira is a beautiful, historic city located on the Atlantic coast of Morocco. The city is known for its strong winds, which make it a popular spot for windsurfing and kitesurfing. Visitors can also enjoy the city’s beaches, souks (marketplaces), and Moroccan cuisine. Families with children will find plenty of kid-friendly things to do in Essaouira.
The city’s walls and ramparts are a great place to explore with kids. Built in the 18th century, they offer stunning views of the city and the sea. Visitors can also take a walk through the Medina, Essaouira’s old town, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Medina is full of narrow streets and alleyways to explore, as well as shops and restaurants.
For a fun activity, families can head to the port to watch the fishermen unload their catch. Kids will love seeing all the different types of fish and seafood that are brought in each day. If you’re looking for a beach day, there are several kid-friendly beaches in Essaouira. Plage de Sidi Kaouki is a great option for families, as it has a playground and a restaurant.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Essaouira, Morocco
1. Visit the Medina: The Medina is the old city of Essaouira and is full of narrow streets and alleyways to explore. There are many shops and stalls selling traditional Moroccan goods, and it is a great place to find souvenirs. Be sure to bargain with the shopkeepers!
2. Take a Camel Ride: A camel ride is a great way to see the sights of Essaouira, and is especially fun for kids. There are many camel operators in the city, so be sure to shop around for the best price.
3. Go to the Beach: Essaouira is located on the Atlantic Ocean, so there are many great beaches to choose from. The water is usually cool and the waves can be high, so it is not ideal for swimming, but it is great for surfing, body boarding, and playing in the sand.
4. Visit the Fort: The Fort is a must-see for any visitor to Essaouira. It was built in the 18th century to protect the city from pirates, and today it houses a museum with exhibits on the history of the city.
5. Ride a Horse: Horseback riding is a great way to explore the city and the surrounding countryside. There are many stables and operators offering horseback rides, so be sure to shop around for the best price.
6.Explore the Old Port: The Old Port is a great place to stroll around, watch the fishermen, and sample some of the fresh seafood. There are also several restaurants and cafes along the waterfront, so it is a great place to relax and enjoy the view.
7. Take a Surf Lesson: Essaouira is renowned for its great surfing, so why not take a lesson? There are many surf schools in the city, so be sure to shop around for the best price.
8. Visit the Arts and Crafts cooperative: The cooperative is a great place to buy handcrafted souvenirs and learn about the traditional arts and crafts of Morocco.
9. Go on a Food Tour: Essaouira is known for its delicious seafood, so a food tour is a great way to sample some of the local specialties. There are many operators offering food tours, so be sure to shop around for the best price.
10. Take a Day Trip: Essaouira is located in a beautiful part of the country, so there are many great places to explore nearby. Day trips to Marrakech, the Atlas Mountains, and the Sahara Desert are all popular options.