Emmitsburg, Maryland is a historic and charming town located in the shadows of historic Gettysburg. Although small, this town has a lot to offer families with young children. The town is home to the National Emergency Training Center, which offers many kid-friendly activities and events. The National Fire Museum is also located in Emmitsburg and is a great place to learn about the history of firefighting. Other kid-friendly attractions include the C. Burr Artz Public Library, the Emmitsburg Children’s Home, and the Emmitsburg Farmer’s Market. There are also several parks and playgrounds in town, as well as a walking trail that leads to a beautiful waterfall. Emmitsburg is a great place to visit with young children and offers something for everyone in the family to enjoy.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Emmitsburg, Maryland
1. The National Emergency Training Center is a great place to learn about emergency preparedness. There are a variety of interactive exhibits, including a simulated tornado, that will teach kids about staying safe in an emergency.
2. The Frederick campus of Hood College is home to the Enterprise Center, which offers a variety of STEM-based programs for kids. These include coding classes, 3D printing workshops, and robotics camps.
3. The Maryland National Guard Museum is a great place to learn about the history of the Maryland National Guard. Exhibits include a replica of a World War I trench and a collection of weapons and equipment used by the Guard over the years.
4. The National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton is a beautiful church dedicated to the first American-born saint. Guided tours are available, and the gift shop has a variety of Catholic items for sale.
5. The Thurmont Regional Library offers a variety of programs for kids, including story times, movie matinees, and special events. The library also has a large collection of kids’ books, comics, and DVDs.
6. The Emmitsburg Railroad Station Museum is a great place to learn about the history of the Emmitsburg Railroad. Exhibits include a model of the original railroad station and a collection of historic photographs.
7. The Emmitsburg Community Park is a great place to take the kids for a day of play. The park has a playground, a basketball court, and a picnic shelter.
8. The Emmitsburg Ice Arena is a great place to take the kids skating. The arena offers public skating sessions, as well as lessons and hockey leagues.
9. The Emmitsburg Aquatic Center is a great place to take the kids swimming. The center has a lap pool, a diving pool, and a wading pool.
10. The Emmitsburg Farmers Market is a great place to get fresh, local produce. The market also has a variety of arts and crafts for sale, as well as live music.