Ellenboro is a small town in West Virginia with a population of just over 1,000 people. Despite its small size, there are plenty of kid-friendly things to do in Ellenboro. For starters, the town has two parks – Town Park and Ridenour Park – which are great for picnics, playing on the playground, and hiking. There is also an outdoor swimming pool and a spray park, both of which are open to the public during the summer months. If you’re looking for something indoors to do, the local library offers story times and other programs for children. And, if you’re looking for a unique activity, you can take a tour of the Ellenboro Coal Mine, which is the only coal mine in West Virginia that offers tours to the public.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Ellenboro, West Virginia
1. Visit the Thurmond Visitor Center: Learn about the history of Thurmond and the New River Gorge at this visitor center located in the former town of Thurmond. The center offers exhibits on the area’s coal mining and railroad heritage, as well as a short film about the New River Gorge Bridge.
2. Take a scenic drive: Enjoy the beautiful scenery of the New River Gorge by taking a scenic drive. There are several scenic routes to choose from, including the Midland Trail and the Appalachian Trail.
3. Hike or bike the trails: There are over 80 miles of trails in the New River Gorge, including the iconic Appalachian Trail. Choose a trail that’s suitable for your ability level and enjoy a day of hiking or biking in the great outdoors.
4. Picnic at a scenic overlook: There are many scenic overlooks throughout the New River Gorge, offering stunning views of the river and the surrounding mountains. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy the views from one of these overlooks.
5. Go whitewater rafting: The New River is one of the best places in the country for whitewater rafting. There are several rafting companies that offer trips of varying difficulty levels. Choose a trip that’s right for you and enjoy a day on the river.
6. Rock climbing: The New River Gorge is one of the top rock climbing destinations in the country. There are over 1,500 climbs of varying difficulty levels. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, you’ll find a climb that’s right for you.
7. Visit the Tamarack: The Tamarack is a unique shopping and dining destination located in the heart of the New River Gorge. The center offers a variety of shops and restaurants, as well as an art gallery and a theatre.
8. Go ziplining: The New River Gorge is home to several zipline courses, offering a unique way to see the gorge. Choose a course that’s right for your ability level and enjoy a thrilling day in the treetops.
9. Take a scenic train ride: The New River Gorge is home to the last remaining coal-fired steam engine in the country. Take a ride on the historic Cass Scenic Railroad and enjoy the views of the gorge from the comfort of your seat.
10.Explore a coal mine: Learn about the area’s coal mining history by taking a tour of a historic coal mine. The Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine offers tours of a authentic mine, as well as a museum and a simulated mine.