For families looking for kid-friendly things to do in Dubbo, Australia, there are plenty of activities to keep the little ones entertained. Visit the Taronga Western Plains Zoo to see over 300 species of animals, including lions, giraffes, and rhinos. For a unique experience, take a camel ride through the Outback or go horseback riding through the nearby Warrego Ranges. Visit the Old Dubbo Gaol to learn about the area’s history, or take a leisurely stroll through the Macquarie Nature Reserve. There are also several children’s parks and playgrounds scattered throughout the city, perfect for a picnic lunch or an afternoon of play.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Dubbo, Australia
1. Visit the Taronga Western Plains Zoo: The Taronga Western Plains Zoo is a large zoo that is home to over 350 animals from Australia and around the world. The zoo has a number of different exhibits, including a nocturnal house, a Savannah grasslands exhibit, and a rainforest aviary. The zoo also offers a number of different educational programs, including a junior zookeeper program and a behind-the-scenes tour.
2. Go on a safari at the Dubbo City Safari: The Dubbo City Safari is a large safari park that is home to over 100 animals, including giraffes, rhinos, lions, and tigers. The safari park offers a number of different safari tours, as well as a number of different educational programs.
3. Visit the Old Dubbo Gaol: The Old Dubbo Gaol is a former prison that is now open to the public as a museum. The gaol is home to a number of different exhibits, including a hands-on exhibit where you can try on prison uniforms and experience what it was like to be a prisoner.
4. Take a step back in time at the Western Heritage Centre and Stockyards: The Western Heritage Centre and Stockyards is a large museum that is dedicated to the history of the Australian outback. The centre is home to a number of different exhibits, including a working blacksmith shop, a school house, and a vintage machinery display.
5. Learn about Aboriginal culture at the Dubbo Regional Aboriginal Living Cultural Centre: The Dubbo Regional Aboriginal Living Cultural Centre is a large centre that is dedicated to the Aboriginal culture of Australia. The centre is home to a number of different exhibits, including a bush tucker garden, an art gallery, and a didgeridoo workshop.
6. See the stars at the Dubbo Observatory: The Dubbo Observatory is a large astronomy centre that is home to a number of different telescopes. The observatory offers a number of different programs, including stargazing nights and astronomy classes.
7. Go on a bushwalk at the Dubbo Regional Botanic Gardens: The Dubbo Regional Botanic Gardens is a large park that is home to a number of different gardens, including an Australian native garden, a Japanese garden, and a rainforest garden. The gardens also offer a number of different walking trails.
8. Visit the Western Plains Cultural Centre: The Western Plains Cultural Centre is a large museum that is home to a number of different exhibitions, including a regional art gallery, a history museum, and a science museum. The cultural centre also offers a number of different educational programs.
9. Get up close and personal with Australian animals at the Dubbo Zoo: The Dubbo Zoo is a large zoo that is home to over 200 animals, including kangaroos, koalas, and crocodiles. The zoo offers a number of different animal encounters, as well as a number of different educational programs.
10. Have fun at the Dubbo Aquatic Centre: The Dubbo Aquatic Centre is a large water park that is home to a number of different pools and slides. The aquatic centre also offers a number of different recreational programs, including swimming lessons and water aerobics classes.