Dresden is Germany’s eighth largest city and is situated in the eastern part of the country on the Elbe River. Although it was largely destroyed during World War II, the city has been restored and is now a beautiful and popular tourist destination. It is well worth a visit if you are in the area with kids, as there are plenty of kid-friendly things to do.
The Old Town (Altstadt) is a great place to explore with kids, as there is so much to see and do. Start at the central market square (Altmarkt), where you will find the famous Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady). This grand 18th-century baroque church was rebuilt after the war, and its two massive domes are now a symbol of the city. From here, wander the streets and explore the many shops, cafés and restaurants. Don’t miss the Semperoper, Dresden’s world-famous opera house, and the Zwinger Palace, a beautiful baroque building with an art gallery and a porcelain museum.
If your kids are into history, they will love the Green Vault (Grünes Gewölbe), a treasure chamber in the Zwinger Palace with over 3,000 objects of gold, silver, precious stones and ivory. Another great option is the Dresden Transport Museum (Verkehrsmuseum Dresden), which has a wide variety of exhibits on the history of transport, from cars and trains to boats and planes.
For a break from the city, head to the Dresden Zoo (Dresdner Zoo), which is one of the oldest zoos in Germany and home to over 3,500 animals. Or, visit the nearby Elbe Valley (Elbtal), where you can go for scenic walks, hikes and bike rides.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Dresden, Germany
1. Visit the Elbe Valley: The Elbe Valley is one of Dresden’s most beautiful natural attractions. It is home to numerous hiking and biking trails, as well as several picturesque villages.
2. Tour the Dresden Castle: The Dresden Castle is one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions. It is a beautiful Baroque-style palace that was once the home of the Saxon rulers.
3. Visit the Zwinger Palace: The Zwinger Palace is another of Dresden’s must-see attractions. It is an ornate Baroque palace that houses a number of museums, galleries, and gardens.
4. Take a Boat Ride on the Elbe River: A boat ride on the Elbe River is a great way to see Dresden from a different perspective. There are a number of different boat tour companies that operate in the city.
5. Visit the Saxon Switzerland National Park: The Saxon Switzerland National Park is a beautiful nature preserve located just outside of Dresden. It is home to numerous hiking and biking trails, as well as several scenic lookouts.
6. Explore the Old Town: Dresden’s Old Town is a great place to spend a day exploring. It is home to a number of historic buildings and monuments, as well as a variety of shops and restaurants.
7. Attend a Show at the Semperoper: The Semperoper is Dresden’s world-famous opera house. It is home to a number of different opera and ballet companies, and offers a variety of different shows throughout the year.
8. Visit the Dresden Zoo: The Dresden Zoo is one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions. It is home to a variety of different animals, as well as a number of different exhibits and attractions.
9. Shop at the New Market: The New Market is Dresden’s largest and most popular shopping district. It is home to a variety of different shops and boutiques, as well as a number of different restaurants.
10. Go on a Day Trip to Meissen: Meissen is a small town located just outside of Dresden. It is home to the world-famous Meissen Porcelain Factory, as well as a number of other attractions.